VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
"Smith is charged with one felony count of aggravated cruelty to animals. If convicted, she faces the possibility of two years in prison."

...and rightly so. Poor little guy.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
That kind of anger displacement, whether it be on spouses, kids, siblings or animals is totally inexcusable. Hope she serves time and gets some serious help.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...tman&seid=auto

Here's a great opinion piece Mark Bittman wrote about this crime and how it draws attention to the weird mental disconnect people have with "food" animals.

We're living in a world where killing a hamster will get you arrested but people can do any horrible thing they want to animals in slaughterhouses and no one bats an eye, it's bizarre.

Quote:
It's time to take a look at the line between "pet" and "animal." When the ASPCA sends an agent to the home of a Brooklyn family to arrest one of its members for allegedly killing a hamster, something is wrong.
That "something" is this: we protect "companion animals" like hamsters while largely ignoring what amounts to the torture of chickens and cows and pigs. In short, if I keep a pig as a pet, I can't kick it. If I keep a pig I intend to sell for food, I can pretty much torture it. State laws known as "Common Farming Exemptions" allow industry - rather than lawmakers - to make any practice legal as long as it's common. "In other words," as Jonathan Safran Foer, the author of "Eating Animals," wrote me via e-mail, "the industry has the power to define cruelty. It's every bit as crazy as giving burglars the power to define trespassing."

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
I agree, Werewolf. It would be great if people realized the animals they eat/use are no different from the companion animals we protect.

·
Registered
201 Posts
How could anyone choke a hamster?!?! How sick are people? I'm ashamed to be the same species as this girl. Just terrible!

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
disgusting. hopefully she will get the 2 years and hopefully she will be in a prison with someone like me who would to to her things that some people do to child molestors in prison

thius is a great articl Werewolfe Girl. I think though that this punishment may be not so much because people feel bad for the hamster but for its owners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts