VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning, this may have to much info for some..

Alright well here's the thing, I have a bad scabbed-over scrape/gash on my arm, and hit it 3 days ago on the table. When I bumped it the scab pulled up at one end and I left it, but it was getting caught on everything (clothing, etc). In my efforts to pull of the part sticking up, the entire scab came off.. not much made me queasy but the fleshy site of what was under it did.

Now that it's scabbed over again I find it really hurts. Even my sleve rubbing on it causes a lot of discomfort. It aches and stings, leading me to think it might be infected.

What can I do to make it feel better? I don't imagine creams could be absorbed through the scab, and it can't really be cleaned with the scab there right?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You really should put a bandage over it to keep it from snagging so much. Change the bandage and clean the wound often, of course.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Rip the scab off and clean it with hydrogen peroxide, then apply a triple anti-biotic to it (neosporin). You probably have a bacterial infection and it needs to be cleaned properly.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Peroxide/Alcohol are bad for cuts because they dry them out and it needs moisture to heal.

if the cut is infected, it will be bright red AROUND the scab, possibly swollen, and often feels hot to the touch. Oozing pus is a good indication too. Apply neosporin/bacitracin/antibiotic ointment to the scab and the area around it and keep a bandage on it (fabric preferably so it can breathe) until it starts to heal. Depending on how big (small?) the cut is, you could try Bandaid "Activ-Flex" bandaids, which you just wash and dry your cut (scab) and apply one (no creams/ointments!!) and it promotes/speeds healing and doesn't come off for a few days. They're not cheap, but I've been incredably impressed how fast some deep knife wounds on my fingers (oops) have healed with them on, and with such minimal scarring that I can't remember which fingers they were.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Hm. That's interesting to know, rc. I just went and bought some peroxide earlier this week to help clean a problem toe. It wasn't healing well, and now it's on the mend. Just for the hell of it, I tried some "silver" bandages too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts