VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just wanted to share my excitement with you guys. I went vegetarian (with the ultimate goal of being vegan) back in July. My family has done the typical "where do you get your protein? is this healthy?" questioning, but they have been really supportive. When they BBQ they get me vegan riblets. When I'm around they use soy crumbles instead of ground meat. If we go out to eat they'll usually also get vegetarian dishes so we can all share. We even took a trip to a vegan restaurant in August. And my dad has been the BEST. We did a class together and he researched vegan friendly restaurants in the area beforehand. We had a vegan cookingfest my entire birthday weekend, too (we made vegan cake, homemade hummus, a tofu dish and a seitan dish). It has been really awesome. About a month ago my sister even started dating a vegan.

Do you want to know the best part (besides being vegetarian for the past 85 days)? My dad has apparently been considering going vegetarian for the last couple of weeks and on Thursday he told me the he was "going to try out this vegetarian thing". Today is day four for him. I'm really happy about it because he has had a lot of health issues in the past (enlarged aortic valve, gout, strokes...2 I think, they are related to his blood thinner medication). He's even signed up to take nutrition classes online.

So I just wanted to share how exciting this is. A lot of people suck out there, but you have to
when positive changes start happening!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Nice you have such a supportive family. And good for your dad. If he hasn't already get him to read the China Study and Reverse and Prevent Heart Disease or watch Forks over Knives. These were all very influential to me in making my decision.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those were influential for me, too. I've talked a lot about them. He's not a big reader, but I do have Forks over Knives that I'll be lending him.

·
Registered
547 Posts
That's awesome!
I wish my dad would go veg.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's great!
I'm glad your family is so supporting, it's really such a nice thing to have. I still have extended family members following me around at parties with a chickenbone telling me to eat meat.
But my close family has for the most part been very supporting, and I know how much of a good thing that can be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts