VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,403 Posts
That's so weird, who is the product meant for? It isn't animal friendly and it sure doesn't sound healthy, so that excludes pretty much all vegetarians.

Maybe for Jewish people with a really lax definition of what pork is?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think that the aim is that it can evenutally be grown without using the dead animal cells, just a starter sample from a living animal. I suspect I am to far gone as a vegetarian to consider this an option now, but if back in my omni days there had been an option for meat which didnt have the animal death/animal welfare issues associated with meat currently, Im not sure whether I would have ever become vegetarian in the first place.

There are also all those people who dont like the idea of killing things, but think they "just couldn't live without meat". This might be a route that those people go down.

I think the main aims of the researchers are from a world nutrition perspective though, rather than a vegetarian perspective. If they can make this process efficient, it could theoretically provide a relatively cheap high protein food source, and given the increasing problems associated with feeding the world population, IF it became cheaper to make meat this way than by rearing animals, I can definitely see that this is a potentially viable contribution.

·
Premium Member
8,664 Posts
What about cats??? Invitro meat sounds perfect for domesticated carnivours--at least when it can be obtained from living cells--but I've never heard of it researched for them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.