VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you remember that poem?

poor potato underground, never gets to look around, never has a chance to see, a butterfly or bumblebee. never sees the sunny skies...what a waste of all those eyes!!

..but seriously folks.

ive never really liked potatoes BUT..im figuring if i cover them in ..stuff and so forth...they'll taste better and they're cheap and nutritious , gluten free , list of benefits is endless.

OR IS IT?!

..someone told me that potatoes are a) toxic for the human body (not just the green kind).

and b) their glycemic load leads to disease.

i plan on eating a lot of these babies SO..i figured id just clear those two up right now!!! (in a nonobsessive way. im curious.).

if i serve them with avocado and oil etc...doesn't that lower the glycemic load and stress on the body etc? or is it still gonna do damage..just more slowly? don't really understand.

to be honest, ill probably eat them anyway
but i like to know things!

xo

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Potatoes:

-have loads of potassium

-are a good source of fiber (especially with the skin)

-are low calorie (not that this should be your primary concern, but y'know)

-have loads of vitamin C (about 1/2 the RDA in one medium potato)

They are not toxic.

As for the glycemic load thing, well, you have to decide how much you buy into that whole idea. Sure, white potatoes release their sugars fairly quickly.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
From what I have read the myth that all potatoes are toxic come from the fact they are part of the nightshade family which contains some extremely toxic plants. IIRC green potatoes contain the same toxin as deadly nightshade (belladonna) does. Also some diet abjur all nightshades, which also include tomato and eggplant, which further adds to the myth potatoes are toxic. I've actually been asked upon telling someone I'm veg*n if I eat nightshades.

If you are looking for something that's similar to potatoes but with a "better" GI you could try yam, sweet potatoes and kumara.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm. thanks guys.

potatoes were a success. they tasted great after all?!

the nightshade thing, kiz, must be what i was thinking of. the name does ring a bell. but i don't think its more than a myth?

and as for GI. i had them at 6. with lots of avocado . and im full. still. and dinner rarely lasts me til 11

they've won me over.

thanks for your help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts