VeggieBoards banner

What Operating System do you use ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the vegans favorite operating system ^^ ?

and why ?

Personally i stick to linux,

especially debian for it's stability, amazing for a server
and archlinux, for the rolling release and the user repository
and sometimes backtrack to test security

I love linux because compared to windows it's faster, takes way less space, i can configure it exactly as i want, change the kernel, the look, there is not a single thing that i cannot adpat to my needs or wishes, and i don't need some stupid antivirus.

compared to mac, it's free, again i can change whatever i want. There is not thing that a mac can do than a linux can't. Mac is good, but is not worth the money compared to a free better linux.

I also play around with OpenBSD since i love cryptography. It's the most secure operating system in the world.

I sometimes have to use windows 7 ultimate for some specific softwares.

( if you want to try linux, you can download ubuntu or linux mint and make them run directly from the cd/dvd without installation )

·
Registered
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

What is the vegans favorite operating system ^^ ?
Oh no, I checked Winblows
But only because the poll asks what OS I use... Currently I have no favorite. I use Winblows XPee on my pecee, and Amiga OS 3.0 on my Amiga, but to say they are my favorite goes too far.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I originally started out in the Navy doing cryptology, and at that time I was very much into Linux. I also still have an old SPARCstation with Solaris I used to use just to practice since that's what I used at work, but it pretty much just sits around collecting dust now
Not even sure why I keep it. Sentimental value maybe? I still have Linux loaded onto a laptop I mess around with from time to time just so I don't forget too much of what I already know, but lately I've become much less interested in computers than I used to be, and a bit lazy perhaps. Time spent messing around with computers is time I could be spending learning languages, which is my current fascination
So... now I primarily use my insanely overpriced evil Windows 7 media monster. Considering that all I really do on my computer now days is watch movies, manage my MP3 player, post stuff on Veggieboards, and maybe play a game every now and then (which I don't feel like going out of my way to tweak so it works on a dedicated Linux machine), it serves its purpose.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've used several Mac OS, several Windows OS, MANY Linux distros, and FreeBSD. My favorites would have to be Windows 7, Arch Linux, SliTaz, and Gentoo.

Currently I am using Windows 7 so that I can play Skyrim well! I have no idea when I will switch back to a Linux distro, because I prefer them over Windows.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Ubuntu Linux at home on my netbook, Android on my phone, and Redhat Linux at work. (Oh, and the Veggieboards server runs Redhat as well!) I've used several others in the past, such as different Microsoft OSes (MS DOS, Win 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP), and Linux distros (mostly SUSE and older Redhats).

What I love about Ubuntu is the overall user experience: its tendency to "just work" e.g. with external devices such as cameras, scanners and printers (although this is probably more a feature of the Linux kernel and Linux device driver development). This used to be a big problem with Linux distros. The very helpful ubuntuforums.org is also a great plus.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Linux (Gentoo) at home, Linux (CentOS and some Ubuntu) at work along with Windows 7 when it can't be avoided. I've used FreeBSD and Solaris a lot in the past but not much recently. I've got some Amazon EC2 nodes running their default own distribution but am looking at rolling my own Gentoo based images for fun.
I've also been playing with OpenWRT on a Buffalo wireless access point which is pretty neat.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I was a long time XP user and switched to Windows & when i got a new computer. Ugh, I hate it.

it seems with each version, the GUI becomes more and more obsure making it difficult to find this you could easiely find before, all in the name of making a simpler interface. For me, it fustrating because I now have to dig for things and something as useful as the directory treee now de-emphasizes the c drive and has (what used to be) My docs/pics/music at the top.

Also, there seems to be fewer options. For example, in Firefox, I used to be able to add and remove items from the toolbars (like the search engine "widget", but now it seems like it's a permanent part of the tool bar, and my only option is to view it or hide it (the entire bar)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use Windows 7 operating system because It is very popular operating system.
it's provide excellent feature and his developed by Microsoft it's easy to learn.Windows 7 better then other operating system.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Windows 7, because I want to play gaems.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some few windows games are still playable on linux, via programs like Wine :
http://appdb.winehq.org/

Final Fantasy XI, Guild Wars, Warcraft 3, Oblivion, Bioshock, among many others, are working perfectly,

other like fallout 3, starcraft 2, EVE online, World of Warcraft, The Sims, works quiet well also except sometimes some cinematics or can need a tweak to work ( like replacing pulseaudio by alsa for the sounds ).

Example : http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=9194

Expect to pass up to 10 minutes to do some tweaks for some games. And yeah, most will not work anyway. But it can be worth to check if yours is ok, given the advantages of a linux over a windows.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use Linux Mint on my Laptop, Android on my Phone and Tablet, and personal computer is Linux Mint primary Boot with Windows 7 secondary. (Gamer, sad I know).
My first computer was a super ancient Laptop with Linux. It couldn't do very much, but I was only eleven so I suppose that hd something to do with it. By 17 I was all about the Unix. Until I started gaming I had never touched a Windows Machine.

Unfortunately I am using Windows and Android more than anything right now. Booting between OSes is becoming a chore just to play a game. I wish I could find a new hobby! lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

Some few windows games are still playable on linux, via programs like Wine :
http://appdb.winehq.org/

Final Fantasy XI, Guild Wars, Warcraft 3, Oblivion, Bioshock, among many others, are working perfectly,

other like fallout 3, starcraft 2, EVE online, World of Warcraft, The Sims, works quiet well also except sometimes some cinematics or can need a tweak to work ( like replacing pulseaudio by alsa for the sounds ).

Example : http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=9194

Expect to pass up to 10 minutes to do some tweaks for some games. And yeah, most will not work anyway. But it can be worth to check if yours is ok, given the advantages of a linux over a windows.
This is an awesome truth! WINE <3.
Have you heard anything about the suposed Dx10 on Linux?
If all my games weren't on Steam and half of them didn't run on WINE I would all about a full conversion. Seems the be the common reply. I think MS would take a serious hit if they let Linux recieve some form of gaming API beyond just Graphics.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grat Wilson View Post

I use Windows 7 operating system because It is a very popular operating system.
it provides an excellent set of features and is developed by Microsoft. It's easy to learn and Windows 7 is better than other operating systems.
I can't tell if you're trolling or just inside bliss?
Windows 7 offers nothing that Unix hasn't already offered since the 90s. In fact, I would dare say the only thing Windows has these days is gaming.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts