VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Quote:
"Today the university was struck by a tragedy we consider of monumental proportions," Virginia Tech President Charles Steger said during a press conference shortly after noon. "I cannot begin to convey my own personal sense of loss over this senseless, incomprehensible, heinous act."

At 7:15 a.m. Monday, a 911 call came in to the campus police department concerning an incident at West Ambler Johnston, a residence hall, and that there were multiple shooting victims, Steger said. While that investigation was underway, a second shooting was reported in Norris Hall, located at the opposite end of the 2,600-acre campus.
Full Article

I warn you this article is very confusing. The first line says there was only one shooter, who is apparently now dead. Later it says there's a shooter in custody. There were 2 shootings. They say they seem unrelated, but I admit I'm doubtful that there is no relation to 2 shootings on opposite sides of campus on the very same morning, only a few hours difference from each other.

I don't think the police have any idea about what's going on or who the shooter/shooters is/are.

This story is developing and constantly being changed and added to so if you want to keep up on it just leave the article open and refresh every little while.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Is it true in most of these "college" shootings that the perpetrator is usually a foreign student? I just heard a news reporter mention that and that it's usually Asians. My friend and prof at my uni was stabbed in the throat by an international student a year or two ago. I wonder if there's somethign cultural going on.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I wonder what ever happened to good old-fashioned suicide.

Suddenly people are like, "Why kill myself when I can kill everyone else?!" And then they die anyway, or commit suicide afterwards. So stupid.

ETA: I am still confused as to why they claim that the 2 shootings weren't related. That implies 2 shooters, but they're saying there was only one.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Well then that's straightened out. When I was first reading the article it said the police believed the shootings were not related ... which didn't make any sense to me whatsoever.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I live in Virginia, have friends at VT... this is terrible. It is odd that there is such a huge gap between the two shootings and that the emergency system didn't kick in in time to prevent the second one. Why were the students and teachers still there? Awful, just awful...

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Very sad. My thoughts are with the surviving victims, and all of the family/friends.
As are mine. I work on a campus, so I can only imagine how frightening and sad it must all be.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaya View Post

Is it true in most of these "college" shootings that the perpetrator is usually a foreign student? I just heard a news reporter mention that and that it's usually Asians. My friend and prof at my uni was stabbed in the throat by an international student a year or two ago. I wonder if there's somethign cultural going on.
check out this link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18137414/ not all shooters were foreign exchange students or Asian. Yes I think it is something cultural is going on but not based on ethnicity or skin color....I think it has something to do with our society. I'm not sure what it is or why it happens. The D.C. snipers were black,columbine kids white some shooters Asian one college shooter Hispanic. I just wish the violence like this would stop.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
That link is interesting..there seem to be some significant absences from their list.

Ugh.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
test

·
Registered
0 Posts
I am sure there are many factors, but a common thread seems to be that these shooters are typically raised in homes where "failure is not an option" and that winning and success are more important than life itself. There was an excellent article about this type of brainwashing performed by parents, athletic coaches, peers, etc. I can't recall where I read it, so if anyone thinks this sounds familar and knows where it is, please let us know.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As a college student this just hits home in a way. I feel safe in the dorms and in the classroom and when I heard about something like this it just shakes the foundation of how I live and makes me look at everything and everyone differently. Walking around campus today made me uneasy knowing that we might not be as safe as we think. I just want to send all my love and thoughts to VT. They only get two days off class, they deserve the whole week to recover. :/ There are a lot of questions to be asked but none of them can bring back the victims. They are now just a part of the unfortunate history of shooting crimes in America.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
What is sad is it seems no one attempted to take him down. They mention that he had only one pistol and had to reload it. I realize they were gripped by fear, but I only wish they bum rushed him and over powered him before he had a chance to do so much damage.

Sad.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts