VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just out of curiosity, the other day I bought a package of polenta. For lunch today, I decided to play with it a bit -- ended up frying up a couple slices (it's the Frieda brand that you can cut into little circular slices because it's like, a tube of it.. I don't know if other brands come like that, but anyway) with chili powder and garlic, and when they were done I sprinkled a little nutritional yeast on top, and then I topped them with a mixture I whipped up of a thick nutritional yeast "cheese" sauce, salsa, and black beans, and washed it all down with a nice glass of vanilla soymilk, and OMIGOSH it was SO GOOD. Wouldn't mind eating that every day.

Only I used up all the salsa
And still have 3/4 or so of the polenta left. So I figured I'd ask what was everyone's favorite way of preparing it (for the polenta fans out there, anyway
), maybe I'll conduct another experiment for lunch tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Being married to a southerer...I don't call it polenta, I call it grits.

I purchase the dry kind for 89 cents lb (organic) and cook it 5:1 water to grits, covered for about 15 minutes. (make sure water is boiling when you add the grits/polenta)

I serve it with scrambled tofu and Gimme Lean sausages and gravy (crumble a few sausages, brown add a few cups water, a handful of flour, handful of nutritional yeast, salt and pepper, stir & bring to a boil.)

·
Banned
2,807 Posts
are you supposed to fry the circle slices? i broiled some polenta once and it was really sticky.. sticking to my gums and teeth and everywhere.. blah. i'll try frying it next time.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mushroom - sounds good!

epi - the only directions I remember seeing on the package were frying and microwaving, but I didn't look very hard and I know there were more.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I've made a recipe off the side of a tube of polenta one time. It was so delicious. I didn't save it but maybe your polenta tube had it. Basically it was spinach and soy "cream" and butter all fried up and poured over the fried polenta. Seems like there was more to it, but I can't exactly recall.

Polenta rocks!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
i have a box of polenta mix and keep forgetting i have it. i've seen it in the tube and been wanting to try it since the box directions seemed to be a pain in the butt as i recall.... i'll definitely have to try it now

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sallyk - i don't remember seeing any recipe on my tube
that sounds really good, too. oh well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts