VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night my little girl cat Pesto (she's 7) suffered an unexpected and extremely severe seizure. She basically ran up and down a few flights of stairs and then collapsed in the living room, slobbering and convulsing and screaming. It was a horrifying noise, I thought it was a three-way cat fight or something. This is a cat who has never even had to take medication, who has always been as healthy as can be. We rushed her to the emergency vet clinic where they gave her valium, which put her into a resting state.

Blood tests didn't reveal anything, same with blood sugar test. She is awake and moving around this morning, even purred and talked the vet techs tell me, but we still don't know what happened and why she seizured so violently and prolongedly. She will be examined by an internalist today, with more tests to see if she has epilepsy, a tumour, a virus, or whatever. There's a good chance they won't even get the answer.

I am so frightened for my little girl. The vet is supposed to call soon and let us know when we can see her again. She must be so scared, she really doesn't like anyone except us. Her brothers are very concerned and agitated. I don't know what's going to happen and I'm so afraid of what decisions may have to be made. I love her so much, she's the first animal we adopted, six and a half years ago. She's the sweetest, most loving little girl. We are both very broken up about this.

Please send positive thoughts to us and our baby girl.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I'm thinking of your little kitty girl and sending lots of positive thoughts and
your way and to her. I'm sorry you're suddenly having to deal with this.

ETA: BTW, meatless, I edited your thread title because when I first saw it, I thought you were talking about pesto sauce until I saw which forum the thread was in.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We still don't know what is wrong with her. They are running a battery of tests. It is quite likely we are going to lose her. They told us if we hadn't gotten her there so fast she would have definitely died. We just visited with her for 1.5 hours and she was so sweet and loving, but it's possible she has something untreatable.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Cats can be quite resilient, as I recently found out. Seizure here, too, vet thinks some kind of blood clot in the brain( thrombosis) ? She pulled out really well and is very lively now, 2 weeks later. Tests showed nothing at all. You never know.

I am sending positive vibes to Pesto ! Hang in there !

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thank you everyone.

She's still doing ok. The tests have eliminated a few things, but we may not ever know exactly what caused her seizure. She is coming home tomorrow hopefully, and we will be treating for several potential causes, including giving her anti-seizure medication. She will need to take that twice a day for the rest of her life. That's going to be tough, but we are going to discuss how we can rework our schedules to manage it.

We visited her tonight again for an hour. We both just held her and petted her and told her we love her, over and over. And that she's beautiful. She was a bit disoriented from her new drugs, but full of purrs and she even licked us both a bit. We got to feed her- her first meal since this ordeal started- and she gulped down her food with tremendous enthusiasm.

So things are looking ok at the moment, but she could still have a seizure at any moment (since we don't know the cause) and it's a long road ahead. But she's alive.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the seizure. I haven't seen one like you described, but even the mild ones I have seen are scary. I'm glad to know she's coming home and I hope that the medicine helps. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.