VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
I don't see a "takeover". I see stock purchases, which can be made by anyone, and buy-outs. No one is forcibly taking control of these companies.

Here is a hint: If you don't want someone to purchase your stock, don't put it on the open market.

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Bethanie hit it.

If a company is publically traded, it had to offer its stock for sale *voluntarily*. All corporations have stock (ownership), not all trade it. For example, a couple of doctors might form a corporation for liability reasons, and will issue the stock to themselves. No one else can purchase the stock unless the doctors choose to sell it. (You will sometimes here corporations referred to as "publically traded" or "privately held".)

In the links you provided, the stock purchases were made because the owners/shareholders/directors of those companies chose to sell their stock, and the corporations you dislike chose to purchase the shares. There is nothing sneaky, shady, forcible, or underhanded about this activity. If the vegan/ethical owners of these comapnies had been concerned about maintaining control at all costs, they would not have sold the shares in their company.

The other examples were mergers and acquisitions, which again, the smaller company has to agree to (unless the stock purchase was involved, these were most likely privately held corps or partnerships.) Owners of small business will often sell out when they have built the business to a certain point - it allows them to realize a large profit, nad lock it in without further risk (the purchase price of the business will include an amount to account for future revenue streams).

The tone of the articles at VR implies the corporations becoming involved with vegan/"ethical" businesses are somehow doing something unfair, or using undue force or market influence. That is not the case.

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
VegA - my issue is not whether or not you should support those products, it was how the corporations were referred to as "forcibly"taking over these "ethical" companies, when that is not the case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts