VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
I don't see a "takeover". I see stock purchases, which can be made by anyone, and buy-outs. No one is forcibly taking control of these companies.

Here is a hint: If you don't want someone to purchase your stock, don't put it on the open market.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you like to clairfy you what you think is the open market??

Tame....

Corporations do nonetheless intend taking over as much of everything as they can it seems which is to say they'll stop at nothing I think, you hear about their greed all the time, and

lately of course reading what is seen at the sites I gave (which you will notice were drawn attention to by "veganmegan" at veganrepresent).

But anyway if you can elaborate on your 'hint' a bit more, maybe I can know where you're coming from a tad better... I'm sorry I cannot guarantee to know what your thinking is (other than the basic gist) behind the outline simplicity of what you have said (and besides I am no expert in these matters but anyway I will of course keep an "open mind" about the instances to which "open" maybe appointed or interpreted as.. etc)...

Excuse the "open" pun but I ask now do you have a case in point,

an example to offer?... I might understand the gist of what you're trying to tell us better if you do... I understand your principle but I maybe interpreting the wrong way, given how so far I don't know what your full depth of opinion is etc. .....but anyhow what I see/

or suspect is that takeover is almost (although I guess not necessarily) a foregone conclusion, but to rival out the original Or smaller organic companies would be most sad is my opinion, because else integrity and quality is compromised.

Alas Corporations will only ever serve to taint everything with big

bizness greed.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I think (though I'm not positive, my expertise is certainly NOT in the stock market) that you have to put your stock up for sale in the first place in order to have it bought out by these companies. The original stockholders had to want to sell their stock to these people. But yes, you need Tame to explain to you exactly how this works so you'll have a better understanding.

B

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Bethanie hit it.

If a company is publically traded, it had to offer its stock for sale *voluntarily*. All corporations have stock (ownership), not all trade it. For example, a couple of doctors might form a corporation for liability reasons, and will issue the stock to themselves. No one else can purchase the stock unless the doctors choose to sell it. (You will sometimes here corporations referred to as "publically traded" or "privately held".)

In the links you provided, the stock purchases were made because the owners/shareholders/directors of those companies chose to sell their stock, and the corporations you dislike chose to purchase the shares. There is nothing sneaky, shady, forcible, or underhanded about this activity. If the vegan/ethical owners of these comapnies had been concerned about maintaining control at all costs, they would not have sold the shares in their company.

The other examples were mergers and acquisitions, which again, the smaller company has to agree to (unless the stock purchase was involved, these were most likely privately held corps or partnerships.) Owners of small business will often sell out when they have built the business to a certain point - it allows them to realize a large profit, nad lock it in without further risk (the purchase price of the business will include an amount to account for future revenue streams).

The tone of the articles at VR implies the corporations becoming involved with vegan/"ethical" businesses are somehow doing something unfair, or using undue force or market influence. That is not the case.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm, there's definately food for thought there Tame, thanks for taking the time to explain and elaborate somewhat... although if

I owned a SERIOUSLY ETHICAL and GENUINE company I would still put extreme doubt (personally) upon whether subletting (so to speak) or sharing my businesses to some corporation could ever be a wise move, (if thats how the deal works) and even if such a move were a straight voluntary deal by those that invest in it and whatever motives were intent for mingling with corporations or selling to corporations..

I don't know what solid conclusions I can make specifically, but I fully stick by what I thought originally, and yet still I learn, so of course that as said I myself will always keep an open mind and always seek conscience before profit....and so should those that

propose themselves to be ethical and which we as ethical vegans

often rely on for our vegan market grocies/products etc due there not being much option available for vegans in the first place. The last thing I want is to have no choice but to buy from big bizness

feeding their OBVIOUS greed.

I know I may have something confused here, or slightly out of context but essentially there can be no doubt in my mind, that corporations such as those in my links are obvously not in my ethical interest for the bad things they support...(directly or indirectly)... and companies that claim to be ethical and yet apparently seem to be whoring themselves into big comglomerates are not true vegan/ethical companies, because

they are not independant in their deeds. IMHO. I don't see how

turning to corporations can be the answer...unless some of which

happen to be more ethical than others maybe?????????????????

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Well I think you have to decide personally where to draw the line...Phillip Morris is granted a kind of 'shady' deal. And I think that's puting it mildly. So it has to be a personal choice that you make. Many of us want this 'fast' food for convenience sake. I don't honestly use much of it anymore, as I try and do a more natural, less processed (as in any sort of processing) diet. And, the items you mentioned are generally pricey so that I can purchase several of something in a natural state, as opposed to one of these processed goods.

But the bottom line is it is convenience food. You are right, when you buy from these companies you are apparently supporting the conglomeration that owns them. They did nothing wrong in purchasing the stock to buy the companies, but of course at least companies like Phillip Morris and Exxon Mobile have created lots of other problems. So if you wish to not support these companies in any way, it is smart not to purchase their products.

B

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
VegA - my issue is not whether or not you should support those products, it was how the corporations were referred to as "forcibly"taking over these "ethical" companies, when that is not the case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts