VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Ly, a student of Mesa Community College.

I'm taking an English class about writing an argument as a research paper.

In my first report, there is a requirement that obtaining an interview for my project. Since time is constraint, I have contacted 2 nutritionists by email, but it seemed I have never got their answers during weekend.

I'm very happy when discovering this forum that might help me with my research paper in entire this semester.

Since an interview is asking and answering, I have 4 questions so far:

1. Do you think vegetarians are as healthy as people that eat meat in their daily meals?

2. Which one would you suggest, eating meat or meatless?

3. If there are people just can't avoid meat, and they are afraid of diseases such as heart attack..., what kind of meat would you recommend? Chicken or pork or beef or fish or something else?

4. Do you eat meat?

Thank you for taking your time.

I really appriciate any responses.

Plus, please leave me your real name and what you do so I can put it on my paper.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I'm not taking part in this poll but I would like to direct you to two sources you may want for your paper.

First do an internet search for "american dietetic association vegetarian". Lots of good info there. They say that a well-planned vegan diet is appropriate for every lifestage of human development. And get a book called "Reversing Heart Disease" by Dr. Dean Ornish. He recommends a vegetarian diet that is almost vegan for those who have heart disease.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
If you're looking for something technical you could include this from the American Medical Association:

Quote:
Intervention.- Intensive lifestyle changes (10% fat whole foods vegetarian diet, aerobic exercise, stress management training, smoking cessation, group psychosocial support) for 5 years.

Main Outcome Measures.- Adherence to intensive lifestyle changes, changes in coronary artery percent diameter stenosis, and cardiac events.

Results.- Experimental group patients (20 [71%] of 28 patients completed 5-year follow-up) made and maintained comprehensive lifestyle changes for 5 years, whereas control group patients (15 [75%] of 20 patients completed 5-year follow-up) made more moderate changes. In the experimental group, the average percent diameter stenosis at baseline decreased 1.75 absolute percentage points after 1 year (a 4.5% relative improvement) and by 3.1 absolute percentage points after 5 years (a 7.9% relative improvement). In contrast, the average percent diameter stenosis in the control group increased by 2.3 percentage points after 1 year (a 5.4% relative worsening) and by 11.8 percentage points after 5 years (a 27.7% relative worsening) (P=.001 between groups. Twenty-five cardiac events occurred in 28 experimental group patients vs 45 events in 20 control group patients during the 5-year follow-up (risk ratio for any event for the control group, 2.47 [95% confidence interval, 1.48-4.20]).

Conclusions.- More regression of coronary atherosclerosis occurred after 5 years than after 1 year in the experimental group. In contrast, in the control group, coronary atherosclerosis continued to progress and more than twice as many cardiac events occurred.
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content...ct/280/23/2001

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
And the more studies are showing that a vegan diet is good for those with diabetes:

Quote:
The Vegan Advantage

People with Type 2 diabetes should consider going vegan. In a study recently published by the American Diabetes Association (ADA), Dr. David Jenkins, a professor in the Faculty of Medicine, and colleagues report that a low-fat vegan diet improves glycemic control - even more effectively than the ADA diet.

During the study, those following the vegan diet said no to meat, poultry, fish, dairy and eggs, but could eat as many vegetables, grains, legumes and temperate-climate fruit (such as apples, as opposed to, say, papayas) as they wanted. In contrast, those following the ADA diet practised portion control, counting every carb and calorie. At the end of the study, the vegans had lost an average of 14 pounds; the meat-eaters only 6.8 pounds.Among the vegans, LDL (the "lousy") cholesterol levels averaged a drop of 21 per cent, compared to 10 per cent in the other group. And improvements in blood-sugar management were three times greater in those who had gone vegan.

Jenkins has already shown that soy, almonds, barley and oats can lower LDL levels. But the stunning results of this study must be personally satisfying for Jenkins who turned vegetarian at age 13, shortly

after his mother tried to serve him his pet chicken. - Susan Pedwell
http://www.magazine.utoronto.ca/07wi...eadingedge.asp

·
Registered
39 Posts
1. Do you think vegetarians are as healthy as people that eat meat in their daily meals?I think vegetarians and vegans are healthier than those who consume animal products. Omnivoires are at much greater risk for heart disease and various forms of cancer

2. Which one would you suggest, eating meat or meatless? I would suggest eating a meatless or plant based diet

3. If there are people just can't avoid meat, and they are afraid of diseases such as heart attack..., what kind of meat would you recommend? Chicken or pork or beef or fish or something else? I do not know why someone would not be able to avoid meat, so the question really does not make sense. As far as what is healthier, that is like asking a diabetic which would be the healthier choice....chocolate cake or brownies....it is all unhealthy. If someone is afraid of heart disease then they should cut meat out of their diet and replace it with mock meats, beans and whole grains for the protein value

4. Do you eat meat?No

Dace ~ stay at home mom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mr.Sun, the materials you provied would be very helpful since I have to work with this project on entire semester.

Thanks Dace, you rescused my life. Could you please give me your real name (it's ok with only your first name) and what you do so I can put on my paper that is required by my instrustor. Otherwise, you can PM me, that would be more convinient to you.

I have some more questions, hope Dace can help me to expand the interview.

-As you said vegterians and vegans are healthier than meat-eaters, but most of meatless people often are skinnier than those who consume animal products because they cannot gain enough protein needed daily in just vegtables.

-If eating too much meat would be related in developing heart diseases, how about just eat a little to gain enough daily needed protein?

·
Registered
236 Posts
To answer your statements/questions in your previous post:

Actually, vegans generally get plenty of protein in forms such as legumes, nuts, whole grains, etc. People who eat animal products (especially meat) are more likely to get too much protein, which is actually unhealthy. Anyway, the reason we tend to be skinnier is because plant-based foods are more filling (more fiber) and more easily digested...so we can eat tons of food and not become obese. Now if the vegan eats lots of sugary and/or fat-ladden sweets, they can still become overweight, but meat-eaters are more likely to have that problem.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kly View Post

1. Do you think vegetarians are as healthy as people that eat meat in their daily meals?

2. Which one would you suggest, eating meat or meatless?

3. If there are people just can't avoid meat, and they are afraid of diseases such as heart attack..., what kind of meat would you recommend? Chicken or pork or beef or fish or something else?

4. Do you eat meat?
1. i think veg*ns are healthier than people who include meat in their diets. as long as you take in enough nutrients and vitamins, you do not need meat at all in your diet or any animal products. look up 'vegan bodybuilders' and you will find many guys who are very in shape while following a vegan diet/lifestyle.

2. you are posting on a veg*n discussion board so what do you think will be the answer to that
of course i suggest a meatless diet.

3. the only people who would have trouble avoiding meat are children under the care of not-so-understanding parents. if you 'have' to eat meat, i really doubt you have much choice in what kind of meat you would be eating. i would rather see people eat meat from animals that were hunted in the wild as that is what is natural in this world. i guess even meat eaters can rebel against factory farming by killing their own food.

4. absolutely not.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kly View Post

-As you said vegterians and vegans are healthier than meat-eaters, but most of meatless people often are skinnier than those who consume animal products because they cannot gain enough protein needed daily in just vegtables.

-If eating too much meat would be related in developing heart diseases, how about just eat a little to gain enough daily needed protein?
- where are you getting this 'fact' that most veg*ns are skinnier? what does this have to do with protein? perhaps you should look up some basic nutrition information
not being rude, just making a suggestion. as with any group of 'minorities', the majority likes to make assumptions based on a small portion of the population. those that you see that claim to be vegan and are very bony/sickly looking are probably using veganism as an excuse for their anorexia. anyone who is serious about their health can be just fine on a vegan diet. there are many foods that are high in protein. seitan, tempeh, and soy are three very popular ones. tvp is also extremely high in protein. beans and nuts as well. it is not hard to eat a balanced diet. it is also not uncommon to see a fat vegan as there are vegan ice creams, chocolates, fried foods, etc. i can eat oreos and potato chips and french fries all day and be vegan but i would definitely gain a lot of weight.

-again... why eat any meat? if you do not have to, why do it? i could start smoking. i do not have to but hey a lot of people do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all who concerned to help me. Actually, I need a person that I can keep contact with to get through the interview with all my questions.

So who is interested in being interviewed, please leave me your name and what you do either here in this topic or PM me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Afterall, my final paper is due today.

Thanks all replying here. I have used your information for my paper.

I had Dave's answers in my very first report.

I found Carabdle's post is very helpful, especially he turned vegetarian in 1986, and I wrote it in my final paper.

Lani, yours also supports for my animal right part. Thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts