VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Elizabeth O'Toole and I am studying Ba Hons Applied Arts for Enterprise. I am writing a 5000 word dissertation on the differences between street art and graffiti. I would like your help to find out just what you, the public think of street art. Please fill in my questionnaire, if there are any questions you don't wish to answer then just leave blank. Thank you.

What is your age group?

What do you see as street art?

What do you see as graffiti?

What do you think about street art?

Is there a difference between graffiti and street art?
If so please state

Do you know of any artists who practice street art?
If so please state

Do you like street art and why?

Do you like Graffiti and why?

Do you think street art makes a difference to the area you live in, if so how?

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
What is your age group?
My age group is between 60 and 62.

Art that is displayed and/or created in public, outside of any established venue, such as a museum or store. It is also acknowledged by the person(s) who created it, as being their work, as opposed to....

....which is anonymous. EDIT- Graffiti also incorporates public or private property, not belonging to the artist, as part of its medium.

Like all art, it depends on the work.

If so please state
See above.

If so please state
No.

I do like it, because it can be a lot of fun. Seeing people give of themselves is almost always rewarding.

Many examples of graffiti I've seen, especially those on the sides of railroad cars, are remarkably good, often the beat thing I'll see that day. I can't help but wonder about the artists and what compels them to do it.

I live in a small rural town. There is little spontaneous artwork here, so I'll have to say no.

Are you going to publish your paper on VB? I'd like to read it.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I actually do street art, so this is pretty cool

What is your age group?
I'm 25.

Anything intentionally created and placed in a public area that is meant to be viewed and perceived as "art".

Anything intentionally created and placed in a public area that conveys a message to those in a specific "in group".

I love it. I like the idea of taking something generally limited to a gallery and putting it in a space where everyone has access to it.

If so please state

Yes. Graffiti is not meant for everyone, whereas street art is. Graffiti is about marking one's territory and sending a message to a select few. Street art is about altering the space around you for everyone to view and enjoy.

If so please state

Yes. Aside from myself and a close friend, I know of the famous people like Banksy, Shepard Fairey, Invader, Fafi, Blu, Os Gemeos, etc.

I do like street art. I think that art should be accessible to everyone, not just those lucky enough to visit art galleries.

I do not like graffiti. I think it is mostly ugly and detracts from the landscape. It isn't about making a statement or bringing art to everyone. It's about leaving your mark.

Yes. I think it makes the area a little more interesting and fun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both so much for your reply, I didn't think of posting up for people read after Iv finished. All you answers are interesting and some surprised me to read so thank you.

·
Registered
319 Posts
There's no difference, per se, but what is typically considered graffiti is often territorial markings by youth gangs.

You might do some research into that, and the effects of youth gangs on community and life. Graffiti of that type (which, of course is not all graffiti) is more of a symptom, rather than a cause, but that may be part of its stigma for some.

Hopefully that gives you some direction?

Is there a difference between graffiti and street art? No.
Do you know of any artists who practice street art? No.
Do you like street art and why? Case by case, like music, I know it when I see it.
Do you like Graffiti and why? Same as above. Aesthetics are complicated, just depends on how I feel.
Do you think street art makes a difference to the area you live in, if so how? No, I rarely see it.

Hope that helps!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.