VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been a vegetarian for over a year now, but my father keeps saying that I am depriving myself of protein and that I'll be ill if I cut out meat & fish. He also says that we don't have the financial situation to purchase special foods to suit my vegetarianism. I mostly eat soya products, cheese, eggs, and other meat substitutes. But we can't afford to buy the nice soya products and suchlike on a regular basis.

I was wondering if any of you would recommend me cheap vegetarian foods, please? I'd be ever be so grateful.

Thank you.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Can you give us an idea of what you're currently eating?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
You don't need special vegetarian foods. If you eat a variety of whole grains, vegetables and beans (including soy products like tofu), you'll get plenty of protein (more than you need) even on a vegan diet. If you're eating eggs and cheese too, you're getting way, way more than you need. You have nothing to worry about protein-wise.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's an example of a typical day's eating:

Breakfast - Shredded Wheat/Porridge/Toast + a Banana.

Lunch - Sometimes a meat substitute sandwich (sorry, it's evaded me what it's actually made of). Other times it'll be a fried egg/cheese roll or sandwich.

Dinner - Pasta with something like a Quorn burger. Sometimes pizza/mashed potato/soya stir-fry etc.

Dessert - Chocolate Bar/Icecream/Cake or something.

Supper - Usually another sandwich.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am I still fine taking into consideration that I do weight-lifting? I'm not a professional bodybuilder or aspiring to be, but is my protein intake still adequate?

And yeah, I could do with more vegetables. I only have some roughly once or twice a week when we have roast dinner. Any in particular you would approve of?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
You should be fine with weight lifting. If you're getting too skinny, eat more. And vegetables: eat the green stuff. Doesn't matter what kind, just try to get a variety (broccoli, spinich, lettuce, asparagus, bell peppers, celery, whatever, if it's green eat lots of it.) You want to eat other colors of veggies too but mostly green. Oh, and fruit, eat more fruit. You're only eating like, one serving of fruit a day. You need at least two. Maybe have an apple with lunch or for a snack.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Agreed with codemonkey. You need more fruits and veggies. Also don't forget about beans as a protein source. They're cheaper than meat or meat subs. Throw some chickpeas or black beans into a stirfry, or even some pasta sauce, make hummus and use it as a spread on your sandwich.

Protien comes easily when you eat a variety of foods. You need to watch your vitamin and mineral intake too!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, gotcha. I'm not much of a fan for the green vegetables, but needs must, eh?

And I forgot to mention that I do have the occasional orange or apple. But I think I could with some more fruit besides that too.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Any additional info would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne_D View Post

Am I still fine taking into consideration that I do weight-lifting? I'm not a professional bodybuilder or aspiring to be, but is my protein intake still adequate?

And yeah, I could do with more vegetables. I only have some roughly once or twice a week when we have roast dinner. Any in particular you would approve of?
Real quick on protein..I will try to make it as easy as possible to understand:

We have bee taught to believe we need this enormous amount of protein to survive and to build muscle. Not True. Yes, we need protein to aid in the building of lean muscle tissue, but we also need carbohydrates to aid in this process. How?

Carbs are your #1 source of energy. (remember this)

Protein helps build muscle. (remember this also)

If we take in tons of protein and little carbs, we are going to utilize PROTEIN (lean muscle) as energy. Not Good! We need those protein sources in order to do what they are suppose to do - build lean muscle.

So, if we take in adequate carbs this will enable us to use CARBS as energy during our day, and during exercise. Therefore enabling our bodies throughout the day to use protein as it is intnded to do - BUILD MUSCLE.

Bottom Line - If we take in toomuch protein we are never able to build good, lean muscle because we will be using it as energy. This is not a good thing.

As far as body builders.....pleasedo not try their type of diet. They are a different species
...They take in way too much protein and this is a reason why a large majority of them are tired and have kidney stones when it comes to competition time. (not all, but a majority)

As far as 'cheaper' foods: add in Natural peanut butter & rice and beans - MIXED! Your body will use this mixture as protein and it doesn't get much cheaper then that!

I give some help with the parents inthis clip:

Please watch it and then show your parents. tell them to trust me. I was a HARD CORE crazy meat eater 9 years ago, until I WOKE UP and realized how unatural it is to eat animal products.

Good Luck! Hope you understadn all of this

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Smoothies with milled flax seeds and/or soy protien powder would be a tasty and nutritious way to get your fruits and some protein. You could also add in a handful of spinach or kale for some greens too (you can't taste it).

·
Banned
1,061 Posts
What about brown rice? Rice is pretty cheap and is great for you. And to get your veggies in just add mixed veggies to the rice. I use frozen mixed vegetables and add a touch of Earth Balance. I was a vegetable snob too, once, but now I am starting to like all sorts of things because I add them in with rice (which I LOVE). I started eating Broccoli once I discovered Broccoli with chedder cheese (It's the only thing with cheese that I eat anymore). I put that over rice, too. You can also put broccoli and chedder over a baked potato or even pasta. If you like hummus, grab a container and eat with a bunch of raw veggies or make a veggie wrap with hummus.

It's amazing all of the new things one can try once we get out of the "steak and potatoes" mindset!! Good luck!

Hang~Ten

·
Registered
885 Posts
You don't need special fake meats. Eat REAL food, like rice and beans, whole wheat pasta, lentils, etc. They are cheap as cheap can be, and are better for you than the fake processed meats.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A lot of the stuff your eating is processed and not healthy. At this point you should be worrying more about getting enough healthful nutrients. You need to be eating more fruits, veggies, beans, nuts, seeds and whole grains. Stay away from fake meats. Also, cheese is not good for you. It is extremely high in saturated fat, which is a predicator for heart disease and cancer. Do not use soy protein powder. It is issolated and been proven to be harmful. I can provide studies if you need them. If you would like a protein powder, try hemp, pea, or brown rice protein. Remember, broccoli has more protein per calorie than steak! (P.S. want to know where I got all this information from? Dr. Fuhrman really knows his stuff and I have read his books as well as The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, The Pleasure Trap by Alan Goldhamer and Douglas Lisle and Healthy at 100 by John Robbins)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was in a similar situation with my parents when I first went vegetarian. (Now, I'm aiming to go vegan.) They also told me we couldn't afford "those fancy vegetarian foods." The funny part is that my "fancy" foods were basic fruits and vegetables. My family members were meat and potato people, through and through.

My solution was to go shopping with my parents. When I started to point out how cheap my "fancy" foods were compared to meats, they started to incorporate them more into the menu. I also pitched in by cooking a few meals a week, my way. Now, over ten years later, my family still eats smaller meat portions and more vegetarian fare even though we've all moved on to our own homes. Its a step in the right direction.

I definitely see a need for more basic veggies and fruits in your diet. I'd be more concerned about you getting other nutrients... protein isn't the problem. Everyone already gave great ideas for cheap, real food alternatives.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
*shakes head* I hate the protein argument considering I probably get more than the average meat eater. It's pure ignorance. If you have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, stop in there. I know for a fact TJ's is cheaper (thats what we have here) and I'm sure Whole Foods isn't expensive either if that's nearby you. Meat is actually MORE EXPENSIVE than vegetarian meals. I don't get that price argument either.

For recipes, Kraft Foods . com is a good site. Allrecipes has some good meal ideas too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.