VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, it's time for me to get serious about going back to school (for my BA) and choosing a career path. I've been trying to decide for the last 4 years and I can't pick something. I always go back to Criminal Justice, but I don't know what I'd do in that career field. HELP!

Likes/Good At:

-True Crime
-Math
-Multi-tasking (I'm a great server because I can do a million things at once)
-Moving around
-Very visual
-Organizing and cleaning

Not For Me/Weaknesses:

-Working with blood
-Working with animals where they might die (ex: vet office)
-Doesn't require reading large amounts of text (I have ADHD, I can't focus on one thing long)
-Desk Job
-Easily distracted
-No traveling (I want to buy a house locally)

Requirement:
-Start at 40k annually in Southern California
-Bachelors or lower
-Stable income

I was thinking of a bank job (I'm great with numbers), but it seems like most are desk-type jobs. Or maybe being a tax consultant. My true passion is True Crime though, I just need to find my "nitch." Does anyone work in the field or know someone who does who loves it? Maybe a court job or something working in solving crimes, but not a parole officer, cop, or coroner. I'd rather not work with dead bodies directly (passively is fine).

I took a Criminal Investigation class in college that I LOVED. I didn't miss a single day (which hasn't happened before), I got almost 100% in the class, and my teacher even asked if I was going to take his advanced class because I was such a good student. I always looked forward to the next class.

This is tough
Please help change my life for the better. I want to love my job.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I don't know what it's like where you live, but $40k sounds like an awfully high starting salary to me.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Good luck to you though! I hope you find your path, it's not easy! I'm still struggling to...

Maybe you could open a vegan true crime themed bakery?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Starting at $40K is an absolute reality in some fields and locations, but I think your weaknesses combined with your "bachelors or lower" requirement will limit your possibilities. Don't limit your potential!

Why don't you have a chat with your old professor about career possibilities in the criminal science field? I'm sure he'd be more than willing to help you get set on the right track.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
You should go to school for finance and/or accounting. Being a certified accountant makes pretty good money.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
True crime sounds more like a category of books and TV shows rather than a skill or occupation. Like you are differentiating it from fictional crime..?

It's probably a good idea to chat with a career counselor if possible. That will probably be more useful than polling a bunch of strangers on the internet. It's particularly important because you have a geographic area in mind -- you don't want to go into a field that is unlikely to have openings in your area when you get done.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hey there, I'm a criminal justice major hoping to work in an animal welfare unit. I know we have it for city and state cops. They're the ones who stop dog/rooster/etc fights and make arrests.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Police officer? I don't know what the pay is like in the states, or what qualifications are required, but it sounds exactly like what you're after?!

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Alright, it's time for me to get serious about going back to school (for my BA) and choosing a career path. I've been trying to decide for the last 4 years and I can't pick something. I always go back to Criminal Justice, but I don't know what I'd do in that career field. HELP!

Likes/Good At:

-True Crime
-Math
-Multi-tasking (I'm a great server because I can do a million things at once)
-Moving around
-Very visual
-Organizing and cleaning

Not For Me/Weaknesses:

-Working with blood
-Working with animals where they might die (ex: vet office)
-Doesn't require reading large amounts of text (I have ADHD, I can't focus on one thing long)
-Desk Job
-Easily distracted
-No traveling (I want to buy a house locally).
Cashier in a local book shop?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree about the MBTI. Take it. Think about the results. Search the internet for careers for your personality type.

I would also recommend this book. It comes with a code for the online test by Gallup Polls. You can learn about your leadership strengths, and the types of jobs you would really fit in and thrive.

·
Registered
162 Posts
What kind of support staff are required by law enforcement? Find out, whether it is a secretary or accountant or phone person or K9-unit kennel operator or whatever. Then call a local office and ask for a job shadow.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

I don't know what it's like where you live, but $40k sounds like an awfully high starting salary to me.
It's expensive to live in California, so I think it's actually more on the lower end. But it's also not uncommon for most starting jobs with a bachelor's to be around that salary.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I'd recommend against true crime. The money may be high, but there's always the risks of going to prison or getting killed to make sure you don't snitch.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
What about forensic accountant? It takes a couple different forms, but basically you use math and accounting to solve financial crimes. My brother has been studying to get certified. Apparently, with all the financial fraud going on in the US it is a growth field.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
What about an elementary school teacher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Likes/Good At:

-True Crime Yep, could work it into some novels and projects and units for the kiddies
-Math Obviously goes well
-Multi-tasking (I'm a great server because I can do a million things at once) Pretty much a required skill!
-Moving around You only sit on your lunch break, IF you're lucky!
-Very visual Great! The more visual your lessons, the more engaging. WAY better than those who just read from a textbook.
-Organizing and cleaning You have no idea how fun it is to organize and clean your own classroom (not kidding!)

Not For Me/Weaknesses:

-Working with blood Goodness I hope you wouldn't have to!
-Working with animals where they might die (ex: vet office)Nope, just don't have a class pet
-Doesn't require reading large amounts of text (I have ADHD, I can't focus on one thing long)You might have readings in university, but after you've graduated you don't really have to read anything other than your own notes
-Desk Job Not even close
-Easily distracted Surprisingly, this is an OK trait
-No traveling (I want to buy a house locally) Nope, unless you are a sub, but even then it's just local travel.

Requirement:
-Start at 40k annually in Southern California Yep
-Bachelors or lower Yep
-Stable income Yep, once you are no longer on call, or if you are on call to a reliable district

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Nursing, if you can overcome your fear/dislike of bodily fluids. My friend has been an R.N. for 2 years, makes $26 an hour, time and a half on holidays, and works 3 nights or 4 days a week. (Her choice). Her days are 12 hours, so that's 12 hours x $26 X 3 or 4. Her job is recession-proof. She went to a community college.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.