VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until a few months ago I ate meat. I was looking for some recipes and ended up on a vegetarian site. I clicked on a link that led me to PETA. I looked around and saw "click for videos" so I did and ended up seeing how animals were treated/killed. That was it. From that moment I haven't had meat or eggs. The more research I do about different foods the more I am disgusted. I am on the verge of giving up dairy (I've given up most but not all). Someone posted that honey is "bee vomit" so naturally that made me ill to even think of it that way. The more I read the more things I give up.

Since some of you don't eat sugar, there has to be something about sugar that I don't know. Please tell me something horrible about sugar so that I will be able to give that up as well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well,

From what I know they use animal bones in the refining process of refined sugar. I don't actually know anything bad about unrefined or organic sugars. But maybe that will help.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I use Jack Frost sugar. They don't use bone char in their processing. From what I've read, Domino uses bone char. I wish I had a link for you, but I read this awhile ago when I researched it last year and didn't save the link. Sorry.

Kreeli has some really useful information on her website about different food stuffs. Sugar is one of them. Maybe reading on her site would help..just go down to "What's Up With". I learned a lot in my reading there when I first became vegetarian.

http://www.veganmania.com/

·
Registered
0 Posts
yeah, refined white sugar may be filtered through animal bones. refined sugar is also supposed to be harder for your body to process than unrefined sugars. but you can get unrefined sugar or sucanat at health food stores and some grocery stores. Florida Crystals is a brand that you can find at most grocery stores and it's vegan. You could also try other types of sugars and sweetners besides can sugar like date sugar, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, barley malt, and fruit concentrates.

·
Registered
159 Posts
There are so many details in so many companies and it's really really hard to tell which uses which. Lots of companies do not use charred bones to refine their sugar, but lots do....it's really really hard to be a vegan and you can never really trust anyone, but every little bit counts so I feel make your own opinions as far as the smaller decisions go. Also, I consider myself a vegan but I DO eat honey. I eat honey because I've been to many bee farms (I have a friend whose mom works for one as well as a distant relative) and the environment is not harmful at all. They just go about their business and making honey is what they do. However, I totally get why people do not consume honey, and do not judge...I think it's awesome to do all you can, it's just my opinion. P.S. I love this board! Seriously, it's a million times better than the other animals rights boards i've belonged to...which is fine, but just people are kinda cultish over there.. Some people are awesome but there are a few who are just insane. Sorry, off topic...bye.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you to everyone who replied! I did a bit more research and I came across this re: what animals go through before they are killed then the bones being used in the refining process of sugar: "Thanks to the so called modern life.Physic impressions of pain and suffering are absorbed into body through sugar.No wonder there is no peace,outside and inside."

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Ack. I've been a simple carbs addict, like, my whole life. About the only times when I really cannot stand the idea of eating something sugary are when 1. I'm sick 2. coming off a fast 3. overstuffed from a huge meal. Going veggie has helped some. I like a lot more fruits and veggies than I used to, and I also used to be a frosting freak. Now I hate the stuff. Icing sickens me now, and PTL I never liked cotton candy or elephant ears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.