VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey MsRuthie, I think that's great you want to run a marathon. I've was a long distance runner for years and have completed a bunch of marathons. First thing I would recommend is to begin where you are now, and don't worry about how you will manage to run 26,2 miles. Proper training is very systematic, it's about learning to brake through mental boundries and the limiting beliefs that physically hold us back. Challenging those limitations a little at a time will give you the experience of knowing how much more capable you can choice to be. Once you experience something, you can intergrate it into the story of who you are. You become your experience on a cellular level. But remember you have to do it a little at a time because first you have to believe you can do something, then you do it and become it. The reason you couldn't do a marathon this coming spring has more to do with your belief that you can't do it then any physical limitation. Your physical body follows your mental belief.

Get outside and start walking! learn to make the less comfortable choice. If there is a foot of snow out there, learn to to see it as an a way to build muscles and endurance, not as a reason to hold yourself back.

Find someone to train with. Is this something your boyfriend would be willing to do with you? Join a running club, or find a friend to do it with. It's twice as hard to train by yourself, you'll need a lot of support when you find yourself in those moments of self doubt, when it all seems so hard, or impossible. We all have those moments, and it makes a big difference when your able to borrow someone elses faith. Plus, it's fun to obsess over running with someone who is as consumed with it as you.

The bottom line is I know you can run a marathon if you want to, and I would love to help you with any questions or moral support . Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts