VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Well, gee, I'm not the one to give advice based on personal experience, but I do have some thoughts.

Any aerobic exercise, particularly any based on using your legs, would be good, IMHO. So if you don't have money but can go to a mall, just mall walk. Maybe you can go when it is not crowded and walk at a fairly brisk pace. You should be able to build up your legs and lungs that way without braving the winter cold. The other thing that comes to mind is stair climbing. Get some of Kenneth Cooper's books on aerobics out of the library and go through the list of possible aerobic exercises.

I am not knowledgable about shoes, although I think I recall that walking shoes are very different from running shoes.

Oprah Winfrey prepared for and ran a marathon. I believe that she and her trainer wrote a book on the subject. Might be worth reading. I think it is called Make the Connection.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...roduct-details

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I hate to be the skunk at the garden party, but walking a half-hour out and then another half-hour back may be way too much to start out with.

I have one book on walking for exercise that basically says people should start out by walking for ten minutes at a moderate pace. Then walk every other day (or at least three times a week), adding a minute each session until you build up to half-an-hour or so. Then you can walk more briskly and add more time and distance.

Here are the Kenneth Cooper Walking and Running exercise programs from his The Aerobics Program for Total Well-Being.

He has a pretty good fitness program, plus since he has this aerobic fitness points system, you can vary your exercises as long as you get the recommended number of points. He recommends 35 or more points per week for the general population, and 50 to 60 (or more) per week for those seeking excellent fitness (athletes and would-be marathon runners).

By the way, you can get a good pedometer at Brookstone for about $15.

If you take the more gradual approach, your goal for the first month would be to build up your leg muscles so you will avoid injury. You should also check your feet carefully after each exercise session and learn to deal with things like (avoiding) blisters, etc.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MsRuthieB

Wow, I've just renamed you 'Joe Cool'

Those are great charts.
Flattery will get you everywhere (with me).

Cooper has formulas for determining aerobic points for walking and running. Unfortunately, these are hard to express in ASCII text. So I've put the Walking Formula (for distances over 1 mile at speeds of 6 MPH or under) into a spreadsheet (*.WK1 format) that should import into any spreadsheet application.

I have started the week on Sunday and ended on Saturday. Saturdays should be color-coded to indicate the end/total for the week, but I think this color-coding got stripped out somehow.

I am still working on the running formula. Let me know if this sort of thing would be useful to you.

walking.zip 5.4384765625k . file

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts