VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this, so I am not sure if I am doing this right!!! I need help! I have a cat who is about a year and a half, and a dog that will be a year old the end of this month (october). Recently in the last month my cat has been attacking my dog....FOR NO REASON!!!! He used to cuddle with her all the time, and vice versa.....well ......now...he will go to another room, and she will end up chasing him, and hissing and scratching him. Like she stalks him....he runs from her , and she chases him still hissing and growling. I love my animals, and I don't want to get rid of her....BUT....she has to STOP doing this to him!!! Does anyone have any ideas???? Please???

·
Registered
995 Posts
What type of dog and what type of cat?<br><br>
Is the kitty spayed?<br><br>
The cat is not doing this for no reason at all, there is a reason you just have to think hard on what it might be.<br><br>
I have a cat that attacks one dog on sight, and I had a foster that would attack ANY otehr animal that moved.<br><br>
With the foster it was a territorial issue, she was not spayed yet and was highly aggressive to other animals on "her" turf.<br><br><br><br>
The other kitty who happens to be mine only attacks one certain dog, that is because this dog is question is a food thief and kitty does not take kindly to that. So it is a type of defence behavior.<br><br><br><br>
There is something causeing the behavior you just need to find out what it is.<br><br>
It could be somethign as simple as stress, my Jaqualine ( a cat) has sever emotional problems and gets stressed and starts attacking everything, cats, dogs, children, stuffed animals you name it she hates it.<br><br><br><br>
I put in Feliway and suddenly all the behavior went poof.<br><br>
She is now a happy cat, who has issues with stealing shiney things to hide and play with but other than that.<br><br><br><br>
Anyway look into this stuff, it does work on most cats, I have found a few fosters it did not work on but not many.<br><br><br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.feliway.uk.com/feliway_uk.nsf/Page?OpenForm&DocID=7&POS=5&Key=null" target="_blank">http://www.feliway.uk.com/feliway_uk...POS=5&Key=null</a><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Oh on a side note, if she has access to catnip get rid of it and see if the problems go away, catnip causes some cats to become agressive.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
When I saw your post, I too was going to recomment Feliway.<br><br><br><br>
It's also worth noting that dogs and cats communicate in very different, often opposite manners. These miscommunications can cause strifes when one of the animals thinks the other animal is giving mixed signals or lying to it. For example, a dog wags it's tail when it wants to interact, but a cat wags it's tail when it wants to be left alone. So a dog that sees a cat wagging it's tail thinks the cat is inviting it to come closer, then when the dog gets closer the cat strikes the dog and the dog thinks the cat was being intentional misgiving. Likewise with the ears... ears back on a dog = submission. ears back on a cat = aggression. Etc. So, watch how your dog and cat are communicating and try and read the communication from each species point of view. Sometimes that's enough to figure out where the communication gap is coming from. The dog could be saying "let's be friends" in dogspeak, but it might translate to "let's fight" in catspeak.<br><br><br><br>
While the cat may be causing all the problems and starting all the fights, it's the dog's behavior that you need to control in order to keep the peace in the family. That could mean not letting the dog make eye contact with the cat or not letting the dog come within 10 feet of the cat. And if the cat becomes aggressive, have the dog lay down and remain still, and reward her big time. In a sense you're asking the dog to be the bigger person and ignore the cat when she gets out of line. You'll have a much easier time controlling a dog's behavior than controlling a cat and still having the cat understand what you're trying to do.<br><br><br><br>
Of course it could be jealousy, or territorial issues, but ultimately they're all dealt with the same way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts