VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I `m a lacto-ovo vegetarian and I am currently considering becoming a vegan. I would love for anyone who is vegan to answer a few questions of mine. Thank you!

How long have you been vegan?

Why did you decide to become vegan?

Have you experienced any change in your energy levels?

Have you lost/gained weight?

Has your overall health improved or become worse?

Do you see yourself still being vegan in the 10 years? If not please explain why.

What are some of your staple foods?

Has veganism been expensive for you?

Do you ever experience mockery because of your being vegan?

Would you recommend veganism to someone considering it?

Is there anything else that you would like to tell me about veganism?

Thank you very much for answering my questions!

·
Registered
130 Posts

only a few months

i had been lacto-ovo for a year and i just had to make that step. there was no reason not to. i wanted to go vegan for the animals and the environment.

not really. pretty similar i think...

stayed the same

stayed the same lol im pretty boring it seems

Do you see yourself still being vegan in the 10 years? If not please explain why.

definately still vegan in 10 years! vegan for life i hope.

fruit, veg, chickpeas, lentils, beans, rice, pasta, bread, quinoa, oat drink, soya yoghurt

i don't think so

not very often

yep yep

erm...its awesome fun hehe

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
How long have you been vegan? only 3 months

did you decide to become vegan? I was dithering about it for a long time (over a year) after I found out how cruel the egg and dairy industries were. VB helped me to realise that just feeling bad about the animals confined by these animals wasn't helping, but that giving up animal products would. Basically, it's for animal welfare (or rights. I'm still fuzzy as to where I stand) reasons.

Have you experienced any change in your energy levels? No. I have always been this lazy!

Have you lost/gained weight? No. About a month into veganism I realised I had lost 3lbs, but I gained it back soon after and I think it was an unrelated fluctuation.

Has your overall health improved or become worse? Not that I've noticed.

Do you see yourself still being vegan in the 10 years? If not please explain why. I'm really not sure at this point. I have no plans to "quit", except the few times I think of discarding the label "vegan" (but not eating any differently) and replacing it with "strict vegetarian". I wont do that though I don't think because it gets so confusing. OTOH, anything could happen. I don't think I've been vegan long enough yet to say for sure I will never go back to lacto-ovoism, or ovo-vegetarianism.

What are some of your staple foods? Um...lots of things. Breakfasts right now, as it's winter, are usually porridge (oatmeal?) with golden syrup or jam (jelly?) or raisins. I drink a lot of coffee and juice too. For lunches, I eat chips (fries) or pasta salads or sandwiches, with juice and some biscuits and fruit. I eat a lot of vegetables, soups, TVP bolognase, cheeseless pizza, pasta with sauce, curry & rice, beans on toast, quinoa, hummus, bread, toast, marmite, fruit...lots of stuff really.

Has veganism been expensive for you? No more expensive than vegetarianism, I don't think.

Do you ever experience mockery because of your being vegan? yes, but it's mostly not too bad.

Would you recommend veganism to someone considering it? definitely. I understand not everyone can stick to it, but it does so much good that it's at least worth a try.

Is there anything else that you would like to tell me about veganism? I didn't expect it to, but guilt free eating makes me happier than profiteroles ever did

·
Registered
747 Posts

Since March of this year

I went vegetarian last September and as I began to find out more about the ethics, health reasons, environmental reasons, etc about going into veganism, it's something that I ireally wanted to do.

Not really. It's hard to tell, but definitely no decrease...

I've kept my weight fairly steady for a while. (lost most of my weight as I was moving towards vegetarianism)

Improved. My cholesterol has fallen through the roof, I still have yet to get sick (it's been like two years since I've been sick for any notable amount of time - not counting like a "24-hour bug" or minor throat/nasal irriatations that were short-lived)

I seem to be able to walk, jog and run a lot better than in the past...

DEFINITELY still a vegan,

Fruits

Chickpeas/beans

Veggies

Vegan burgers

Whole grain foods

Pasta

Nope.

Yes. Mostly with people telling me it "sucks" or there's "no point".

DEFINITELY! It's not so bad to get into and once you start living the lifestyle and learning more about it, chances are you'll be happy you made the choice to go vegan!

It's very healthy for a lot of reasons.

There are a lot of vegan foods which are easy to get and have in your diet.

I'm tired of companies/bands/cafes/restaurants, which mess up perfectly vegan foods by adding milk or eggs, etc to them.

There are also plenty of alternatives and mock products out there that are delicious and great in recipes!

·
Registered
800 Posts

Fully since July this year, transitioning towards it since about last January.

A friend going vegan was what first prompted me to consider it, and the more I thought about it and the more research I did, the more I realised that I didn't agree with a lot of the consequences surrounding eating eggs and milk. I also found out that my eczema disappeared when I gave up milk, so I figured milk doesn't do my body and good.

Not particularly, but I started being more physically active around the time I started transitioning to veganism (new job involving being on my feet most of the time and also walking to work and back) so it's hard to tell if it has made much difference.

Lost weight, but this could also be due to increased physical activity.

Certainly hasn't got any worse. Better in terms of skin problems clearing up.

Probably, mainly because I'm stubborn and tend to stick with things once I've started. Also the reasons I became vegan will not have gone away in ten years' time.

In terms of meals, stir fries (tofu/vegetables/noodles) or vegemince bolognese for quick meals, thai and indian-style curries, lots of stuff involving pasta, rice or noodles, or whatever new recipe I'm experimenting with this week.

No, only when first stocking up on spices and herbs for new recipes, but once you've bought them they can last you a year or so. Buying rice milk for cereal is more expensive than the equivalent amount of cow milk, but then I'm not buying cheese and stuff any more so that probably balances itself out.

Haven't so far, but I'm lucky to have two or three other vegans in the groups of friends I associate with most often, so a lot of people who know me are used to the idea.

Definitely give it a try. I noticed that I felt more peaceful after I became 'officially' vegan, something to do with trying to reduce cruelty through my actions and choice of diet. I also got more adventurous with cooking, and now I'm at the stage where I can make nice vegan food to feed to other people and corrupt them, hee hee...

·
Registered
800 Posts

Fully since July this year, transitioning towards it since about last January.

A friend going vegan was what first prompted me to consider it, and the more I thought about it and the more research I did, the more I realised that I didn't agree with a lot of the consequences surrounding eating eggs and milk. I also found out that my eczema disappeared when I gave up milk, so I figured milk doesn't do my body any good.

Not particularly, but I started being more physically active around the time I started transitioning to veganism (new job involving being on my feet most of the time and also walking to work and back) so it's hard to tell if it has made much difference.

Lost weight, but this could also be due to increased physical activity.

Certainly hasn't got any worse. Better in terms of skin problems clearing up.

Probably, mainly because I'm stubborn and tend to stick with things once I've started. Also the reasons I became vegan will not have gone away in ten years' time.

In terms of meals, stir fries (tofu/vegetables/noodles) or vegemince bolognese for quick meals, thai and indian-style curries, lots of stuff involving pasta, rice or noodles, or whatever new recipe I'm experimenting with this week.

No, only when first stocking up on spices and herbs for new recipes, but once you've bought them they can last you a year or so. Buying rice milk for cereal is more expensive than the equivalent amount of cow milk, but then I'm not buying cheese and stuff any more so that probably balances itself out.

Haven't so far, but I'm lucky to have two or three other vegans in the groups of friends I associate with most often, so a lot of people who know me are used to the idea.

Definitely give it a try. I noticed that I felt more peaceful after I became 'officially' vegan, something to do with trying to reduce cruelty through my actions and choice of diet. I also got more adventurous with cooking, and now I'm at the stage where I can make nice vegan food to feed to other people and corrupt them, hee hee...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all so much for answering my questions. I am pretty sure that I am going to make the switch all I have to do is a bit more research and talk to my mom ( I don`t see why she will have a problem with it ). Once again thank you all very much!

·
Registered
319 Posts

6 weeks.

Mainly for ethical reasons, but also for health and environmental reasons.

No.

No.

Stayed the same, as far as I know.

Do you see yourself still being vegan in the 10 years?

Yes.

Veggies, fruit, bread, pasta, rice, tofu, beans, soy milk, oatmeal, soy burgers.

Some things are more expensive. Earth Balance costs more than margarine, vegan frozen dinners cost more, etc., but in general I think I spend about the same amount as I did before on groceries.

I have never been mocked for being vegan. My Dad likes to tease me sometimes, but he's just joking around.

Definitely.

It is the one thing in my life right now that I feel truly good about and feel like I have control over. I think I also enjoy food more than I did as an omni. I used to be very picky, but now I am a lot more adventurous and have discovered many good foods that I never would have tried before.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts

A year (lacto for 7 years prior)

Finally overcame my denial and self imposed blindness to the evils of the dairy industry. Always knew it was wrong, and always wanted to go vegan, I was just too weak. One night I just said "no more".

After giving up dairy yes. An increase. I also feel more energetic after eating raw foods. And less energetic eating "fake meats".

Lost. Went from 200 to 180 when I went vegetarian. Gained a bunch over the years from dairy and the like. Going vegan I went from 210 to 160.

Improved.

Among other things, the mucus level in my body went way down.

Yes.

The reasons for being vegan have not changed, and will not change.

It is healthier, better for the environment, causes less harm to animals, uses less resources. It is the original biblical diet (and original human diet according to scientists). There really is not reason NOT to be vegan. Humans are frugivores after all.

Bread. Avocado. Cucumber. Seasonal Fruit. Spinach. Broccoli. Hummus. Kashi Puffs. Hazelnut Milk.

Not really. The less and less processed meat alternatives, etc. that I've cut down on recently have made it even less expensive.

From lacto-ovo's on veggieboards sure. Animal welfarists sure. Certain omni's. There are always some in certain groups that use mockery as a defense mechanism because they don't like feeling guilty, or don't like radical change being professed into their lives.

Of course, I'm sure a lot of this has to do with my absolutionist attitude on things much more than the veganism itself. People aren't too mocking to my face, as I'm also not quite as blunt in person. Besides, IRL I spend more of my time speaking of Christ to the world, and veganism to Christians... You can't be quite as blunt in that situation because from the Christian standpoint, it isn't so much a matter of ethics as dominion - just have to throw out the facts, the verses, and pray for the convictions of the Spirit.

On the other hand, to vegetarians I am more blunt with veganism because it is generally the refining of "the same side", if that makes sense. The same reason I can be more blunt about biblical matters with Christians then non.

When talking to people in your camp you can be more bold and authoritative.

... Although, I overheard someone comment on my bumper sticker in a sarcastic tone the other day: "pro-life? go vegan." "wtf?"

When you walk with a "live and let live" attitude, most people will respectfully repay you with as such. When you actually try to change peoples values and show them the downfalls of their lifestyle, they aren't as cheerful about it all. But meh, I'd rather be mocked while declaring the evils of the animal industry for what they are, then to sit idly by.

I would recommend veganism to any and every person.

You taste better, and if you're good enough, you get a cool vegan police badge.

·
Registered
684 Posts

3 months today.

The animals. Now, it's because of the environment, my health, and world hunger, too, but that was my initial reason.

Not really. I had a little more energy in summer before I went vegan, but I think that's mainly due to the fact that I usually slept 10-12 hours a day...

Around 7 pounds, so nothing major.

Definitely improved.

Certainly.

Hummus, vegenaise, rice milk, orange juice, and tons of fruits and veggies.

No.

Yeah, nothing really bad though.

Definitely!

If you do decide to go vegan, good luck and congratulations. :]

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Your posts are hard to read in blue.

1994 - 2001 (ish), August 2006 - present

If humans can get by just as easily without a single animal having to suffer, why wouldn't they try to limit that as much as poss?

More and better.

Yes and no.

Too soon to say. Maybe of the benefits of veganism (or should that be the health risks of an typical omni diet) are longterm. But I'm gonna say better, final answer.

Yes, because I stopped being vegan for awhile and it sucked and I've never been as happy as I have since going vegan again.

I eat loads of steamed vegetables. Hummus. Mixed greens. Unsalted nuts and trail mix. Money's Gardenburger Chik'n Grill Savoury Herb patties.

Yes.

Some. It's nothing I can't handle.

Yes.

Hear me now and believe me later: It will pump, you up!

·
Registered
0 Posts

For 9 months.

For the animals.

Yes, I feel more energetic than I used to.

I lost a few pounds, but nothing significant. My mom lost around 25 lbs. so far since going vegan, which is awesome.

Definitely improved.

Of course. When I went vegan, I made a lifetime decision.

Fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. Green, leafy veggies are a big staple food for me.

No, it's actually been cheaper. My grocery bill went down when I went vegetarian, but even more so when I went vegan. The reason is probably because I bought so many dairy products, fast food, and processed, frozen food. Now, I eat all organic and rarely anything processed (I'm transitioning to a raw diet). It's still cheaper, surprisingly.

No, thankfully!

YES. Everything is worth a try, in my opinion. Veganism can be very healthy and beneficial, for you and the animals.

If you decide to try veganism, have a open heart and open mind. Many people jump in without those two things. They will help you along your journey.

Thank you very much for answering my questions!

You're welcome!!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
How long have you been vegan? Just a few weeks, still getting there

Why did you decide to become vegan? I could not, in good conscience, continue to purchase and consume products from an industry I don't agree with. (how they do things)

Have you experienced any change in your energy levels? Not a LOT, but if anything, energy has gone up.

Have you lost/gained weight? Maybe a little loss, but I've also been sick.

Has your overall health improved or become worse? same to better

Do you see yourself still being vegan in the 10 years? If not please explain why. Hopefully. I am doing what I can, and it is still in the early days where each meal is a choice. The early days are the hardest. I think if I can get into the area where I can make anything without *thinking* about it (automatically cooking vegan), then I'll be set.

beans, grains, breads, soup, veggies, fruit, nuts...

Has veganism been expensive for you? If it has, it's because I'm buying more fresh fruit (regardless of season), and bulk nuts, etc. More organic than before, etc. It is still less expensive than it was, as an omni. My grocery bill for 4 people (2 small kids), for the month, is around $200-$300~ we're in Colorado.

Do you ever experience mockery because of your being vegan? No, mostly questions. A little teasing from my husband, but no mocking.

Would you recommend veganism to someone considering it? If it is something you feel strongly about, yes.

Is there anything else that you would like to tell me about veganism? Baking has been the hardest, overall... cereal and milk as a day to day thing has been hard as I don't like to drink soy milk, etc. I've had to re-think my breakfast options... And when I realized I wouldn't be happy trying to find replacements for milk/cheese, I knew, for ME, that the best thing to do was stop thinking about drinking milk and eating cheese. Maybe later on I can add some soy cheese in, and it will be close enough, but right now it will just make me want the real thing. And I don't want to put myself in that position to fail.

Oh, and be sure to be getting your vitamin B-12 from somewhere! Supplement, vitamin, lots of nutritional yeast, etc.

·
Registered
963 Posts

About a year and a half I think...I've got a terrible memory

Although I'd been lacto-ovo for ten years, since I became one at 7 years old I never thought to research it further as it just seemed a way of life, then about two years ago I began finding out about the egg and dairy industries and made the change

Not a huge amount, but a bit yes.

Lost weight and then stablised. I didn't lose a lot since I was reasonable slim to begin with, I'd say now I'm at my ideal weight.

Improved! I'm eating most meals from scratch, a wider variety of veg and giving up dairy has made my asthma miles better.

I do, since I not only have the ethical reasons but I really enjoy this lifestyle so I don't have any motivation to stop.

As meals, veggies, fruit, snacks like hummus.

No, but I do still live with my family (I'm 17) so my parents started buy more fresh veg, and the only extras are soy milk and margarine, which I sometimes buy myself. We've actually saved some money because as a L-O I ate a lot of meat subs and cutting most of them out has helped.

Yep, there's a few people in my college would like to tease me about it all the time, but I can generally shut them because they aren't that bright to begin with.

Yep
As long as I thought they would be responsible about it - getting the right foods, etc.

Hmm, just the B-12 warning other people have mentioned really!

Good luck

·
Registered
200 Posts

About a month.

Did a lot of research on the health reasons behind a vegan diet. That, combined with my knowledge of the dairy & egg industry did it for me.

Surprisingly, yes. I have more energy, but I'm exercising more, too.

Lost some, but am also running more.

I'd say better, but it's a little soon to tell.

Absolutely.

Tons of fresh vegetables, fruits, oatmeal, brown rice, hummus, bulgur, lentils, black beans, coffee, etc.

Not really-- buying dairy was more expensive.

Occasionally. I don't really talk to many people about it. I don't think my mother in law is very supportive, however.

Yes.

Seems like a challenge at first, but well-worth it!

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensieve1817 View Post

Thank you all so much for answering my questions. I am pretty sure that I am going to make the switch all I have to do is a bit more research and talk to my mom ( I don`t see why she will have a problem with it ). Once again thank you all very much!
good luck! let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
373 Posts

Almost two months. Lacto-Ovo vegetarian for about 4 years.

I don't like the way that animals are treated. I grew up on a small family owned dairy farm and the memories of the things I saw as a child are quite upsetting. I now believe that animals are sentient creatures and they should not be exploited for human gain.

About the same. Perhaps a little more energy.

I lost some weight. I wore my old jeans again yesterday!

In the past I ate a lot of dairy. Now that I'm eating more beans and whole grains, I just feel full sooner.

Too soon to tell overall. The weight loss is definitely an improvement though.

Absolutely. Vegan for life.

beans(chick peas,red beans, black beans, pinto beans), brown rice, fresh and frozen vegetables, fresh fruit.

No Some of the faux meats and cheeses are pricey but beans rice and veggies are cheap. It evens out.

Not really. Some occasional good natured ribbing. Most people are just curious.

Definitely!

Make sure you get enough B12. I take a sublingual (under the tongue) B12 supplement.

Learn to cook if you don't already know how. Many omni foods can be made vegan. There are many good recipes on this site and elsewhere on the internet. You may also wish to invest in some vegan cookbooks.

If the rest of your household is not vegan, have a backup plan. Keep some ready to eat vegan foods in the freezer so when the rest of the family is eating meat you will not go hungry.

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts