VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. My name is Mark and I am 17 years young. I reside in Hamilton, Ontario Canada. I am clearly new to the Veggieboards, but I am very familiar with forums. I started posting on them when I was 10 years old and now have about 34 thousand posts across IGN.com HFboards and others. Although I have only posted a few hundred this year and my posting has decreased significantly, I hope this can be my new home.

This past summer I went down to Haiti for a week for a relief mission and to make a very long story short, it changed my life. Who would have thought it would make me a vegetarian? It opened my eyes to common things that have become far too "normal." I consider myself to be a thinking person, like most of you are. I am aware of my surroundings, and I care. That is why I can no longer eat meat.

From the day I watched Earthlings I knew what needed to be done. It was only a matter of executing it. I've never really eaten well. My mom was always a challenge for me and made this very hard. She is the lazy type and fast food is a regular. She considers microwaving a tv dinner to be a strenuous activity and so that is basically as good as it gets. Many times I tried to go cold turkey and cut it off but my ignorant mother refused to support me. Not because she was opposed to it, but just that she didn't really feel like I was serious. One day I even showed her Earthlings and she turned it off after 10 minutes and claimed I was "sick." She just didn't understand. I feel like me and my mother are exact opposites of each other and have fundamental in everything we do and how we approach things, but that could be just me being a teenager.

March 9th 2011 was Ash Wednesday. A.K.A. the first day of me being a vegetarian. I knew that if I cited religious reasons as why I wanted to attempt this, she would fully support it and encourage me. So far so good. She has been buying me meat-free foods, but still not that healthy.

So it's been 10 days. I feel better about myself, and I don't notice anything different health wise. But even if there was anything different, I probably wouldn't know anyways.

So that's my story. You are the exact same person that you are before you started reading it, minus 3 or 4 minutes. I hope to see you around.

Attachment 14849
LL

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Hello and Welcome!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Welcome aboard
Great to see you here!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts