VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad brought me some plantains and I thought I'd ask you guys if you knew any tasty recipes before I start experimenting with them. They're in the last stage of ripeness I believe, very dark reddish brown.

·
Banned
7,981 Posts
Easiest thing is to just peel and slice them into thick slices and shallow fry them in oil and serve as a side dish. Or cook them the same way for breakfast sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.

Or some more ideas:

----------------------------

Plantain Boli (Indian appetizer)

2 large ripe plantains

100g/3 1/2 oz rice flour

1 tsp black sesame seeds

1 tsp sugar

1/4 tsp turmeric

oil for deep frying

Method

Cut the unpeeled plantain in half lengthwise, then cut the halves into 1cm/

1/2 inch slices.

In a large bowl, mix together the rice flour, sesame seeds, sugar and

turmeric. Slowly stir in 450ml/16oz of water, just enough to give a batter of

pouring consistency.

Heat some oil in a deep fryer or wok or large heavy saucepan. Peel the

plantain slices and place them in the batter. Working one at a time, transfer

the coated slices to the oil and fry for 2-3 minutes until the batter is

cooked. Remove the boli from the pan and set aside to drain on a kitchen paper

in a warm place. Serve warm with chutneys.

---------------------------------

Shiro Wot (African Stew)

Ingredients

1 tbsp sunflower oil

1 onion, finely chopped

2 tsp mild curry paste

½ tsp dried chilli flakes

½ tsp allspice berries, crushed

400g can chopped tomatoes

300ml vegetable stock

1 plantain, peeled and thickly sliced

198g can sweetcorn, drained

100g savoy cabbage, finely shredded

125g okra, halved

50g roasted salted peanuts, to garnish

Method

Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and fry for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in the curry paste, chilli seeds and allspice and cook for a further minute.

Mix in the tomatoes, stock and plantain and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the sweetcorn, cabbage and okra, cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes until the vegetables are tender.

Spoon into the warmed individual bowls, sprinkle with the peanuts and serve with rice, if liked.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
They're nice just fried with a bit of margarine/fat and some brown sugar.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Hmm maybe I'll give these a try soon. I've only heard of them being used in fancy recipes before.

They sound nice.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
In Africa I used to get something called kelewele which was plantain fried and made very spicy. It was really good, but I don't have a recipe. The plantain was cut up into slices, fried and lots of spice added. When really nicely with rice and beans.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, now my only question is: which way to go, sweet or savory? I've got three plantains, guess I'll try both and see which I like more!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mm, I just fried one in butter with some chili powder, garlic and sea salt. Oh my this is AMAZING! It's like a tart, savory banana. Why didn't I discover these before? I wonder if they're expensive, I'm going to have to add these to my permanent grocery list.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Make Filipino turon! My all-time favorite plantain dish.

Ingredients:

Lumpia wrappers, available at Asian grocery stores.

Plantains

Brown sugar

Oil for frying

Method:

1) Peel apart the lumpia wrappers. Keep a damp cloth on top of them so they don't dry out.

2) Cut the plantain in half lengthwise, then again so that you have like 2 inch long rectangles.

3) Take one lumpia wrapper, and put one plantain piece in it. Generously sprinkle brown sugar on top.

4) Fold the wrapper in half over the plantain, fold the sides in, then roll it up. Seal the edge with either water or an egg.

5) Fry them in hot oil about an inch deep until the sugar is carmalized and they're golden brown.

Tip: Make these with some friends!! Have them help you peel apart the paper thin lumpia wrappers and roll up the turon. Makes it go by more quickly, and makes it more fun! If you find you have too many, you can also freeze these and fry them later.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I love plaintains. I first had them at an international buffet. I've been hooked ever since!

The best way to eat them is to fry them. Yum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Puerto Rican way is very good. There's two kinds, tostones and amarillos. For tostones, use a green plantain, cut into medallions and lightly fry on each side for 30sec-1min. Then take out, drain, and SMASH into little disks (this is the fun part, be careful tho they will be HOT). Then re-fry the disks until golden brown and crispy. Immediately add salt. Serve with anything.

For amarillos, you take a ripe plantain and cut it up into thick slices and just fry until caramalized.

Yummy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts