VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, vegkid is introducing you to another weird animal.

Planarians are flatworms from the genus Planaria. They are non-parasitic and are known for their amazing regenerative abilities. If a planarian is cut in half, both halves will be totally fine and just regenerate back what they lost. The head will swim around just like before and grow a new tail. The tail will bump around until it soon grows a head complete with fully functioning eyes. This is an extremely useful survival adaptation because if a fish were to bite a planarian in half, it would be totally fine. I've seen them cut in half before and it's just like bloop, wait, half of me is gone? Oh well. And it grows back in about 2 days. Studies have even shown that planarians cut into 5 or 6 pieces regenerate just fine.
We experimented on them in science class a few years ago. It was disturbing to see everyone cutting them in half (I never did that to mine) but at the end of the unit I adopted them all and they were all perfectly fine. What I found more disturbing, actually, was the fact that they have these little mouth tubes that they use to feed on liver. We had to buy them beef liver. Blegh.

I also think they're adorable, but maybe that's just me.

Anyone else ever kept Planarians as pets?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I'm scared of legless beings and so those pictures gave me the heebie jeebies! *Shudder* Pretty interesting though, fascinating that they can re-grow like that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
They look cute, when they're like this, on screen, but I wouldn't want to keep them at home. They scare me a bit cuz I connect them to tapeworms, we learned about them in the same time, and they're awful. To me, at least. :/

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
I remember them from biology class, a long, long time ago. I agree they're cute, even though I'm unreasonably creeped out by worms generally.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Yup, cute! I like how they look cross-eyed.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suezo View Post

Kinda look like a penis.
How the hell does it look like a penis!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post

They look cute, when they're like this, on screen, but I wouldn't want to keep them at home. They scare me a bit cuz I connect them to tapeworms, we learned about them in the same time, and they're awful. To me, at least. :/
Naw, aside from the intestine thing, tapeworms aren't THAT bad. Then again, I did have pet leeches for a period of time (also science experiments), so I'm not the best to ask about that stuff.

I figured there'd at least be one science geek who fondly remembers their planarians. And the horribly depressing way they die.

I remember waking up one morning to find they all had disintegrated. Other pets, when dead, just look like a dead animal. These poor guys just die and then they just mash all up into tiny particles and disintegrate all over the cage. They all generally died at the same time since they were the same age, so it just happened overnight. Pretty sad to lose about 50 pets in one night, especially to find said pets had turned to unrecognizable mush.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts