VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have travelled twice to China recently. As we all know it is very difficult to find vegetarian food in china. I had no choice except to try pizza hut where they serve vegetarian pizza. I don't dare to go to even Pizza hut in China since there is no way I cannot communicate in Chinese. But due to my chinese friend I was convinced and tried PIzza hut in Beijing and Guangzhou. Even after all kind of explanation and convincing the waiter in Chinese, I got pizza with atleast three pcs of meat inside in Beijing and two pcs in Guagzhou. I have habit of verifying my food whenever I am in such a common place. Luckily I didn;t eat and I saved my title of being born vegetarian.

But the issue here is such MNC has no ethics or training to their employees.

All that I can say is I can never trust Pizza hut.

be careful when you buy a vegetarian pizza from PIzza hut.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
...and don't speak Chinese

·
Registered
357 Posts
ummm. i work at pizza hut and we get vegetarians all the time.....

its in china. i guess dont trust food places in china to understand english? lol

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but to be fair, these things can happen anywhere, and in many different restaurants. I personally have never had a prob with Pizza Hut, and I didn't have any disasters when I was in China either (and no, I don't speak Chinese).

·
Registered
780 Posts
A couple years ago, my wife and I spend a couple weeks in Guangzhou. We didn't have any problem eating out. But my wife is fluent in Cantonese so that helped a lot. We went only to Chinese restaurants. Most of the restaurants had at least one vegan choice on the menu and we found that they were good about special orders. We found a couple vegetarian Chinese restaurants in Guangzhou and we weren't even looking so it's not like there aren't any. China is one of the countries where Buddhist monks and nuns are vegetarian (at least in the Chan tradition). Few lay people are vegetarian every day though they might be on special occasions.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was more or less mix up thing, since i have been travelling to china from last six years . I have realised many chinese think it is very poor and unhealthy to eat vegetarian. So sometimes generously add pork, or chicken even if you ask vegetarian. I have been to Gungzhou with my chinese friend, she herself agree that it is very difficult to be vegetarian in china. Even monks have no much choice, In whole of shenzhen where 10000 s tourist come everyday but there is only one vegetarian restaurant. There were couple of them but all closed due to no busienss. Forget about vegan option etc, even getting clear vegetarian itself is difficult task. As far as pizza hut is concerned the mistake is out of ignorance or improper training. In my case it was just mix up due to sheer mistake, and that too after all instructions given in chinese.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:
So sometimes generously add pork, or chicken even if you ask vegetarian.
Well, if that happened there must have been miscommunication. We've eaten out probably at least 20 times and we were NEVER given any kind of meat. Maybe there is a misunderstanding about the word "vegetarian". Many Asians think that Western vegetarians eat chicken and fish. And you can't blame them. Even when you dine out in the US you have to be very explicate about what you can and can't eat because of the confusion about the meaning of "vegetarian". I can tell you what my wife says to them and there is never a problem. She tells them: we want temple food, no meat, no chicken, no fish, no chicken broth.

Quote:
Even monks have no much choice
You say that it's so hard to get vegetarian food there but Chinese eat a lot less meat than Westerners (the North Americans anyway). And are you saying that the monks and nuns can't get rice and tofu (invented in China) and vegetables and fruits in China? Come on. In China when we asked for temple food we got nice dishes of various types of greens and/or tofu in tasty sauces with rice as a side order.

And maybe you already know it but China is a multilingual country. Even if your friend knows how to speak "Chinese" well the truth is that there are several Chinese dialects. I don't remember the exact number but there are quite a few of them. My wife is fluent in Cantonese (the language of Guagzhou) and she knows some Mandarin (the official language) but even she sometimes had difficulty communicating.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ironically I ordered Pizza Hut the other day and there was scraps of bacon throughout the pizza even though we ordered it with no meat. I called and received a credit on my next order.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo View Post

Well, if that happened there must have been miscommunication. We've eaten out probably at least 20 times and we were NEVER given any kind of meat. Maybe there is a misunderstanding about the word "vegetarian". Many Asians think that Western vegetarians eat chicken and fish. And you can't blame them. Even when you dine out in the US you have to be very explicate about what you can and can't eat because of the confusion about the meaning of "vegetarian". I can tell you what my wife says to them and there is never a problem. She tells them: we want temple food, no meat, no chicken, no fish, no chicken broth.

You say that it's so hard to get vegetarian food there but Chinese eat a lot less meat than Westerners (the North Americans anyway). And are you saying that the monks and nuns can't get rice and tofu (invented in China) and vegetables and fruits in China? Come on. In China when we asked for temple food we got nice dishes of various types of greens and/or tofu in tasty sauces with rice as a side order.

And maybe you already know it but China is a multilingual country. Even if your friend knows how to speak "Chinese" well the truth is that there are several Chinese dialects. I don't remember the exact number but there are quite a few of them. My wife is fluent in Cantonese (the language of Guagzhou) and she knows some Mandarin (the official language) but even she sometimes had difficulty communicating.
i am fluent in Mandarin and i have the ability to get by in Cantonese as well. in my trips to China since becoming vegetarian i had more problems with relatives trying to give this poor misguided girl meat than with the restaurants lol. yes, you can get vegetarian meals in China (but getting a vegan one i think would be pretty difficult). i have found what you said to be true: you have to ask for Temple Food or make it clear you are following the traditional Buddhist diet. if you make it clear you can get vegetarian food in the Chinese restaurants. i really don't see why anyone would want to go to a Pizza Hut in the first place, especially in China with all that wonderful food available in the Chinese restaurants!

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

^ Thats what I was thinking. Go all the way to china and eat in pizza hut?!
i been trying to find it, maybe it is on my dad's computer, but i have a pic of me standing next to a statue of Colonel Sanders in...Nanjing lol. silly statue outside the entrance to a Nanjing KFC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts