VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a vegetarian in the process of going vegan. Just wondering what you all do when your family (if you live with them) orders pizza.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i order a vegetarian pizza with no cheese..

actually what i specifically ask for is: a "veggie lovers" no cheese, and add green olives, hot peppers and sundried tomatoes, well done and with extra sauce.

and it doesn't hurt to tell them you're highly allergic to dairy so they absolutely must use clean utensils when they make it.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I realize that I can bake a delicious pizza that is much better tasting and much healthier than what they are eating
I cna share my recipe with you if you want.

I know that some pizza plases have vegan crust and sauce so theoretically you could get a special order that is without cheese. Other people here would know more about that than me since I've never done it.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
When my family orders pizza...I don't eat any.

However, there is a very good vegan pizza recipe in the Friendly Foods cookbook.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i bought pizza sauce one day with the intention of making my own version on pitas, but i never got around to it and still have pizza sauce but no pitas

i may try to find some english muffins or something that are vegan and make some mini pizzas in the toaster oven with yves veggie peperoni and veggies

·
Registered
278 Posts
We hardly do the fast food pizza/take-out thing. I usually get Amy's vegan pizza and add extra yummys. Or, you can make a great pizza out of pita bread, sauce and then add the veggies of your choice.

Tri, please share your recipe! If not on this thread PM me. Thanks!

Also, in one of my raw food cookbooks there's a pizza recipe. I'm going to have to try that.

·
Registered
750 Posts
i order papa johns pizza all the time:

no cheese, and not cut

and i emphasize that a lot (at least twice during the phone call)

you should ask if they brush their crust with butter, if they do, tell them youre allergic and ask that they not do it

they have toppings... but im a weird vegetable hating vegan, so i dont get any

i usually have it delivered and add to it some fried up vegan peperoni and some chReese sauce

yum

Caroline

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Vegan pizza

1 tsp yeast

3/4 cup warm water

1/2tsp sweetener

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (plus extra)

1/2 tsp salt

Mix the first three ingredients together. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.

Then add the flour and salt. Knead the dough for 5 minutes or so addign flour as needed to keep the dough from beign stciky.

put in a covered bowl with a drop of oil and let stand until it doubles in size (if it's over a vented burner, it won't be too long).

Once it has risen, roll into a flat circle.

Pizza sauce

1 can tomato paste

2 cloves of garlic

1/2 T oregano

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp basil

spread sauce over the pizza crust and add desired toppings. Then bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until the crust is browned and the toppings are cooked.

If you want to make it the way I do, prepare some TVP then then mix in a little bit of the sauce for flavour, cover the sauce layer with that and then add chopped onion, red pepper, pineapple and finally sliced roma tomatos. Drizzle the pizza with olive oil and enjoy.

1 tsp olive oil

·
Registered
776 Posts
I am lucky as my my mother in law who is Italian makes us pizza all the time and it is naturally vegan. Lots of tomato and capers, so delicious. They don't eat a lot of meat in things in northern Italy like pasta sauces etc. Lucky for me

·
Registered
750 Posts
<Pizza sauce

1 can tomato paste

2 cloves of garlic

1/2 T oregano

12 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp basil>

damn, triumvir!!! 12 tsp of cayenne pepper!!!!!

Caroline

·
Registered
278 Posts
Scarey~ I was thinking the same thing. I hope that was supposed to be 1/2. That's how I wrote it down. Sounds good, thanks for sharing Tri. Now I remember why I was going to travel to your place. You can cook!!! (kidding saborm)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I don't order food. When I was in AZ we'd order a pizza with no cheese, and pineapple. I would make some yves canadian bacon and put it on there, and sometimes some tofutti cheese slices. *Supposedly* it was all vegan...the crust I mean.

·
Banned
261 Posts
My family doesn't ordr pizza anymore.

But if they did, I'd just eat something else, or make my own vegan pizza, and laugh at them for being stupid anough to eat a pice of bread topped with lots of greasy, animaly filled pus-y bloody fat. Yum?

I make reall, reallly, really good scratch red sauce, if I do say so myself...my parents say it's the best they've ever had, and my mother lived in a largely Italian home while she grew up. And to think I didn't even know how to boil water a year and a half ago (no...I'm really not joking). So, I'm happy. Pizza is better the vegan way.

Cassie

·
Registered
0 Posts
I order Papa John's vegetable pizza with no cheese, supposedly it's vegan? The rest of my family has cheese pizza, so i don't feel left out at all

·
Registered
0 Posts
My mother and daughter shared a pizza tonight. I went to the deli next door and bought some artichoke, black olives, antipasta mix and had it with lots of green leaves, some dressing and some vegan bread and spicy pepper hummus.

I would not trust the pizza place to make a vegan one, and the salad is healthier anyway. Plus it shows my daughter that salads can be imaginative.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies. I actually thought of ordering it with no cheese but my father sort of thought that idea was ridiculous so I ended up eating edamame and rice instead.

Actually, I don't even like pizza that much. Even before I was vegetarian I would get grossed out by how greasy and cheesey it was and not eat it for several months. Anyway, thanks for all your ideas. Hopefully I'll try that recipe once I am a little better at cooking (I keep burning things).

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I get no cheese pizza with lots of veggies. Or even better, when I have time, I make everyone's pizza, including the crust. I make regular pizza for everyone else and a vegan pizza for me...which usually gets eaten by several family members with just as much gusto as the 'bad' pizza.

B

·
Registered
904 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by veganchick

Scarey~ I was thinking the same thing. I hope that was supposed to be 1/2. That's how I wrote it down. Sounds good, thanks for sharing Tri. Now I remember why I was going to travel to your place. You can cook!!! (kidding saborm)
That's okay veganchick, I know you wouldn't take advantage of him.

ETA: I made Tri's pizza not long ago and it came out really well. I topped mine with red onion, green pepper and pineapple.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts