VeggieBoards banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><b>Pit Bulls Out of the Doghouse<br><br>
A long-maligned breed is getting an image makeover. But skeptics say those fighting genes are hard to overcome.</b><br><br>
By Carla Hall, Times staff writer<br><br>
August 3, 2006<br><br><br><br>
The bar is crowded, but Karen Dawn doesn't hesitate to enter with her two dogs in tow. Paula sports a pink bandanna around her neck; Buster, a camouflage kerchief. Oblivious to the din of voices and music, Paula and Buster quietly make their way through the tangle of patrons' feet, pausing to bask in the massage of hands reaching down to pet them. "They're usually on someone's lap," says Dawn, who seeks out animal-friendly restaurants and bars like this one in Venice. Monica Paull, sitting nearby, gushes, "Your dogs are amazing!" She pats the empty spot next to her and Paula hops up.<br><br><br><br>
At this moment, it's difficult to believe that Paula and Buster share a heritage with dogs that have, this summer, fatally mauled a man in San Bernardino County and seriously wounded an 11-year-old girl in a school bathroom in the San Fernando Valley and an 11-month-old girl in Santa Barbara</div>
</div>
<br><br><br><a href="http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-pitbulls3aug03,0,550792.story?coll=la-home-headlines" target="_blank">http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines</a>

·
Registered
108 Posts
I love my pit bull! She's just a big baby. Any dog can be vicious and its sad that they are the current dog to be feared. In most of the cases of attacks I read about in the news its the owners that should be euthanized. You can turn just about any dog into a monster. Reading about dog fighters just makes me angry - I don't think the punishment they receive is harsh enough. People don't make the connection that if a person can do something like that to an animal in their care, they can (and are likely) to do that to a human. I'm glad to hear that more people are having pit bulls as pets and are being responsible pet owners. Maybe the more people do this, others will realize that they are being to quick to judge an entire breed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts