VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ecorazzi.com/2012/03/12/p...f-ground-beef/

Quote:

It was only a month ago that McDonalds came under fire for selling pink slime chicken nuggets to their customers. When consumers found out about the process that the meat goes through to become nuggets that never deteriorate, they took to Facebook, Twitter, and other social media outlets to showcase their displeasure at being duped.
McDonalds, in order to please their customer base, decided that it would no longer use the pink slime in the chicken nuggets they serve to the public. But now, meat consumers have another reason to consider going vegetarian if not all the way vegan.

According to a recent ABC News report, 70 percent of ground beef sold in supermarkets contains beef trimmings better known as pink slime. Whistleblower and former United States Department of Agriculture scientist, Gerald Zirnstein, claims, Its economic fraud. Its not fresh ground beef Its a cheap substitute being added in.
Zirstein claims that he and other USDA scientists warned against using the substitute, but that government bosses overruled their objections.
Pink slime is beef trimmings. It is made from waste trimmings that are simmered at a low heat until the fat separates from the muscle. It is run through a machine to separate the fat and muscle then it is sent through pipes where it is sprayed with ammonia before being packaged into meat bricks. The bricks are then frozen and sent to grocery stores where it is added to most ground beef as a filler.
The ABC News report claims that there are no labels on ground beef packages at the supermarket to warn consumers of the pink slime because of USDA links to the beef industry which has labeled the product as meat.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
That's disgusting my husband is down to one brand of ground beef that he gets and thats what he gets and it looks fresh to us, other then that the others stuff in that area can ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww can't speak about it.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

That's disgusting my husband is down to one brand of ground beef that he gets and thats what he gets and it looks fresh to us, other then that the others stuff in that area can ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww can't speak about it.
If its branded ground beef I would almost be certain they use pink slime filler to extend profits. Also looks can be deceiving, the industry has ways of keeping meat looking fresh longer... like carbon monoxide.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
That's probably why some people go to a butcher or make their own.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Yeah even when I was still eating meat I always bought whole cuts and ground the burger myself.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

If its branded ground beef I would almost be certain they use pink slime filler to extend profits. Also looks can be deceiving, the industry has ways of keeping meat looking fresh longer... like carbon monoxide.
I said brand not the brands LOL this is actually Organic he gets but other words I want to digest my dinner so will not be qouting more.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

That is kind of what is happening now. People are going out and buying a cow or "half a cow" to have sent to the butcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

I said brand not the brands LOL this is actually Organic he gets but other words I want to digest my dinner so will not be qouting more.
I don't think it matters weather or not it is organic. Unless you bought it from the butcher shop it most likely contains pink slime.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Is it the ammonia or things other than muscle tissue that makes people grossed out?
Meat is gross, much more so when you go back to the source, what's the difference if there's connective tissue?
You go to butcher shops, and meat markets and they sell all the pieces/parts.
Ammonia kills the bacteria-is that worse than feeding the animals antibiotics which lead to resistant bacteria so we'll be doomed with antibiotic resistant strains?

I remember this story from years back about Mc D;s chicken mcnuggets.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Is it the ammonia or things other than muscle tissue that makes people grossed out?
Meat is gross, much more so when you go back to the source, what's the difference if there's connective tissue?
You go to butcher shops, and meat markets and they sell all the pieces/parts.
Ammonia kills the bacteria-is that worse than feeding the animals antibiotics which lead to resistant bacteria so we'll be doomed with antibiotic resistant strains?

I remember this story from years back about Mc D;s chicken mcnuggets.
Yeah I don't get it either. To find hot dogs and sausages mouthwateringly delicious but to balk at this and call it "pink slime" verges on psychosis. That's basically why sausage was invented. To grind up all the otherwise inedible parts and make use of them. This is just a higher tech version of the same thing, only they aren't stuffing it into colons.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Yeah I don't get it either. To find hot dogs and sausages mouthwateringly delicious but to balk at this and call it "pink slime" verges on psychosis. That's basically why sausage was invented. To grind up all the otherwise inedible parts and make use of them. This is just a higher tech version of the same thing, only they aren't stuffing it into colons.
Exactly! People were discussing at work right after a hot dog lunch! I called them on it and they really couldn't explain. I explained it for them - they grew up eating it, they like it, and the reality is too horrible to know-so they ignore that knowledge and focus on how much they need that special protein.

I was on a discussion where someone felt it was disrespectful for veg*ns to refer to meat as flesh.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Oh I've even been chided by fellow vegans for calling it carcass.
Really? LOL!

I do try and understand the disconnect, I had it myself most of my life, but people need to realize how important it is to know.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

Which vegetarian food are you referring to?
My apologies for phrasing my post rather poorly, but what I was refering to is the fact that many vegetarian products nowadays are made just as 'quick and dirty' as pink slime foods... using things like gmo soy, industry by-products, and the like. If people saw what Quorn actually looked like in those big brewing vats prior to processing they might well be turned off the product altogether.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts