VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I'm starting to get really freaked out about this whole pill thing. I came off the combined pill a few months ago and haven't had a period since (I also haven't had the dryness and pain, and lack of any interest in sex, but that's another story). I'm not pregnant so now I have to have a bunch of tests - the thing is, I used to have pretty regular periods and now they're just gone, I mean, it's great, but I'm worried that there's something seriously wrong with me. I was on the pill for about 5-6 years and I feel like it messed me up. I haven't lost weight, I've gained it, and I'm getting plenty of iron if that makes a difference.

The doctor I went to said something interesting - that the periods you have on the pill aren't real periods at all, so in actual fact, I haven't had one in like 6 years, surely that can't be good for you????

Is anyone else worried at how easily, and without much information, the pill is handed out to teenage girls? I mean whatever happened to informed consent? How can it be a good thing to be messing with your hormones for years on end? I'll bet it's why cancer rates are so out of control.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
It can take a while for your body to return to normal after taking hormones, especially for an extended length of time. I got the Depo shot and along with weight gain, I started lactating, too. Birth control does all sorts of weird things to your body.

Yes, birth control is handed out pretty indiscriminately, except I'd rather birth control be handed out than babies be poppin' out to unfit parents. Lord knows we have enough of those getting knocked up on purpose.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My birth control saved my life! I have PCOS and don't ovulate, so I would go 6 months without a period and then bleed for a month straight because of the uterine lining build up. And if that doesn't all shed you can get an infection....

Thanks to birth control, I actually release an egg each month and shed my lining. Go me!

·
Registered
278 Posts
hormonal birth contral scares the heck out of me, i've heard of it messing up too many people, myself included... however, having said that, when i went off the pill the first time, it took me about 5-6 months to have a period again.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

Yes, birth control is handed out pretty indiscriminately, except I'd rather birth control be handed out than babies be poppin' out to unfit parents. Lord knows we have enough of those getting knocked up on purpose.
I'm with you there!

I knew that I wouldn't be getting a real period while on the pill, that it's just withdrawl from the pill that makes you bleed. It makes perfect sense, while on the pill, you don't release an egg, thus you wouldn't have a "real" period. Your body stops building up endometrial lining when you're on the pill because it THINKS you're already pregnant.

I did my research, and my doctor was very helpful. I also was at the point where I had to choose between birth control pills, or narcotic pain relievers/muscle relaxers to get through a period. Easy choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikat View Post

Thanks to birth control, I actually release an egg each month and shed my lining. Go me!
psst... you don't release an egg on birth control... unless you're using the kind that just thickens cervical mucous... but they aren't used much anymore.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

psst... you don't release an egg on birth control... unless you're using the kind that just thickens cervical mucous... but they aren't used much anymore.
I know it forces me to ovulate. That is why they wanted me on it because I wasn't ovulating....

edit: what was I thinking.... I ovulate, but don't release the egg. Duh. it just basically forces everything to "flush" out. does that make sense?

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
yes, i am concerned about the broad use of the pill on teenage girls.

it's why i'm so 'crazy' about fertility awareness method!

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
how can one ovulate but not release the egg? that's what ovulation is.

PCOS is treated with hormonal birth control--which helps shed the lining and decrease symptoms. but, it won't promote fertility.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

also, tests, etc, may be unnecessary. go to the health food store and pick up some pregnancy tea. traditional medicinals sells a good tea for women's reproductive health, as does yoga tea. they should contain red rasberry leaf as one of the ingredients (primary).
I'm (genuinely) curious as to why you are suggesting a tea for expectant mothers as opposed to tests to determine why she isn't getting her period?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

PCOS is treated with hormonal birth control--which helps shed the lining and decrease symptoms. but, it won't promote fertility.
Which is good because I don't want biological children....

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

I'm (genuinely) curious as to why you are suggesting a tea for expectant mothers as opposed to tests to determine why she isn't getting her period?
Me too, I'm sure there must be a good reason.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Annikat..those saying that you don't ovulate on the pill are correct (unless you're taking a progestin-only pill..see link below)

http://womenshealth.about.com/od/the...wpillworks.htm

gas4..I feel your pain.
I know that it's supposed to take awhile for things to work out post-bcp, but I've been pretty nervous since quitting too, since things are definitely not "regular". I've been gaining weight, which I attributed to some Christmas indulging, but it's more than that (according to the math, heh) and now I'm suddenly struggling with acne. I'm hoping the acne is just my skin reacting to the winter weather, but we'll see.

Argh. Some days being a girl sucks.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
well, it's a combination of factors.

first, she's coming off the pill and her body is trying to regulate. thus, it might be a normal aspect of coming off the pill. it isn't the first time i've heard a story from a gal coming off the pill and not getting a period for a while, or getting very strange cycles (some long, some short, some with spotting, some without, some with long, high volumn menstruations and some with short, light ones) until the whole thing regulates.

the reason that the body is having trouble regulating is because the pill created a perpetually anovulatory process and her body didn't have to produce any hormones to maintain this process, or to maintain a healthy fertility process.

so in a sense, what gas is experiencing in 'coming off the pill' is one of the normal side effects to the pill--not having a period and/or not having a regular or healthy fertility cycle.

thus, it is important for her to develop a healthy fertility cycle. there are many methods that help promote this--and they are not medical. If these do not work, i see no problem with goig and getting expensive tests and advices and medications from doctors. But i, personally, would try a natural approach first.

i would begin by eating a thyroid supportive diet, one that is relatively high in cholesterol (since this creates sex hormones), and i would include in it herbal supplements that are known to help with fertility. Both pregnancy teas (most common) and the "women's cycle" teas which include red raspberry leaf are widely considered the best herbal supplement to promote fertility and healthy fertility cycles.

thus, i recommended that she try this first--and if it works, then great, and if it doesn't then she should consider going to a doctor for whatever tests.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
ah, and a lot of this info can be found in garden of fertility, as well as the herbalism books that i mentioned before.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the explanation Zoebird.

I suspected that it might be something to do with the fact that my body is now not used to sorting out it's own hormones. I'm not sure I would have taken it if I'd known about all this.

I've already had half the tests done for $15, and since I have private health insurance I've booked in the pelvic ultrasound for next Tuesday and it will only cost $38.

I'll look into getting something with red raspberry leaf in it as well because if the tests do come back that it's just my hormones sorting themselves out (as opposed to something more sinister) then I'd much rather go that way than take any more medications.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

gas4..I feel your pain.
I know that it's supposed to take awhile for things to work out post-bcp, but I've been pretty nervous since quitting too, since things are definitely not "regular". I've been gaining weight, which I attributed to some Christmas indulging, but it's more than that (according to the math, heh) and now I'm suddenly struggling with acne. I'm hoping the acne is just my skin reacting to the winter weather, but we'll see.
Hey, I've been gaining weight as well.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I went off in June. I lost a few pounds, but now I'm struggling with acne a bit.
But on the whole I am happy with the decision.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts