·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Pig withstands Tasers to escape slaughter

150-pound porker finally succumbs to tranquilizers but avoids butcher

Updated: 5:26 p.m. PT Sept 14, 2006

GREEN BAY, Wis. - A pig on the lam from a trip to the butcher withstood Taser shots from police officers and eluded authorities for more than an hour after wandering onto Green Bay's major highway Wednesday night.

The 150-pound pig was spotted by a passing driver on U.S. 41 at 6 p.m. Wednesday night, Green Bay Police Lt. Todd LePine said. The animal reportedly went into traffic several times, creating a hazard, he said.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14838640/?GT1=8506

Quote:
The pigs not going to slaughter anytime soon, Robinson told the Press Gazette. It was shot with tranquilizers, and what does that do to a pig?"
Probably nothing as bad as actually slaughtering the animal does to it, Lady.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
People suck sometimes.

How many animals have to escape for people to think about switching to food that doesn't try to run for his/her life?

How lame is it that the pig was referred to as "it" and "the pig" throughout the article. I don't think it mentioned gender once. Keep it objectified people. Don't give your food a personality and you can go right on eating "it."

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
It was shot with tranquilizers, and what does that do to a pig?"
My guess would be it tranquilizes the pig. No?

Anyway, poor little Scofield (I like to name escaped pigs). He never really stood a chance, but at least he had a taste of freedom. Nah. There is no bright side to this story and I know it.

Cheers!

TJ

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
To me, stories about animals escaping slaughter are among those that most effectively show why meat-eating is so disturbing and sick.

You can't just have that pig being free. Nope, that won't do. He/she must be killed so some salivating apathetic **** can have his/her desire satisfied.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

People suck sometimes.

How many animals have to escape for people to think about switching to food that doesn't try to run for his/her life?

How lame is it that the pig was referred to as "it" and "the pig" throughout the article. I don't think it mentioned gender once. Keep it objectified people. Don't give your food a personality and you can go right on eating "it."

·
Registered
0 Posts
And what frustrates me the most about this article is that it's placed in a section called "Animal Peculiarity."

Excuse me, but what the **** is so peculiar about an animal running for its own dear life? It's almost like they're saying, "Aw, how unusual. That silly pig was trying to escape from being slaughtered. Now why would it do such a thing?"

·
Registered
684 Posts
I agree Janie, it sucks.

I love pigs. This is terrible... Ugh. How I would love to "kidnap" that pig and give it a nice, loving home instead of a cruel, torturous death.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post

I agree Janie, it sucks.

I love pigs. This is terrible... Ugh. How I would love to "kidnap" that pig and give it a nice, loving home instead of a cruel, torturous death.

How I would love to live in a world where pigs didn't HAVE to run for their lives in the first place.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

My guess would be it tranquilizes the pig. No?
And buys him a "slaughter withdrawal" window of opportunity for anywhere between 7-30 days depending on the drug. Or, depending on the drug used, it might just render him ineligible for slaughter all together.

"Oops, loaded the wrong dart! Sorry, my bad..."

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

And what frustrates me the most about this article is that it's placed in a section called "Animal Peculiarity."

Excuse me, but what the **** is so peculiar about an animal running for its own dear life? It's almost like they're saying, "Aw, how unusual. That silly pig was trying to escape from being slaughtered. Now why would it do such a thing?"

Or, just maybe, it's because out of the thousands that go to get slaughtered, very few get out.

But don't let that get in the way of your emotionally charged rant.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

Or, just maybe, it's because out of the thousands that go to get slaughtered, very few get out.

But don't let that get in the way of your emotionally charged rant.
Millions. Not thousands. And thanks for your sarcasm. Always appreciated.

And I believe the focus of the article was that it was so "peculiar" that a pig escaped tasers instead of succumbing to them. But even if it was focused on the act of escaping, as you suggest...

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...609150606/1207

Apparently it escaped through an opening in the truck bed. I don't think that's very peculiar at all.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Quote:
And I believe the focus of the article was that it was so "peculiar" that a pig escaped tasers instead of succumbing to them.
Well, either way, it's unusual.

Quote:
Apparently it escaped through an opening in the truck bed. I don't think that's very peculiar at all.
I don't know about you, but I don't hear about that happening very often.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Why do the pigs always get it? They are my favourite animals. Ah well, its not all bad, I know of several cases where the councils are trying to kill pet pigs because they are not allowed to be kept for various reasons, and the owners have the whole community and the surrounding communities fighting for the pigs and signing petitons, not to mention all of Australia when the news comes through on the various current affairs shows on EVERY channel.
That news is more encouraging to read.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Aww, when I saw the headline "but avoids butcher" I thought it'd be a happy ending like someone rescuing it, but here they're just saying they had to kill it for no reason since they couldn't butcher it for meat.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very nice. The second article identifies the pig as a female, and she's STILL referred to as "it".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.