VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a piercing for my birthday, my first one as a vegan (and as an adult! My ears were done at six months). Is there any part of the process that contains animal products?

That may sound like a silly question, but any generally recommended aftercare products to watch out for or anything? People sneak animal products into the darndest places.

Edit: Naval piercing, if that's relevant, at a place that doubles as a tattoo parlour (dunno if that makes any difference).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. What's wrong with tattoo parlours? It's not where I had mine done, but a friend of mine was tattooed there and another was pierced, and they both recommend it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean anything by it. All my piercing that have been totally trouble free have been done in a place that specialized in piercings. They sold clothing and jewellery and did piercings and that was it. The few times I have got a piercing in a tattoo joint, they were a bugger to heal and one had to be taken out as they used those plastic labret plates and cut it too short and didn't allow for swelling.

What are the normal aftercare products recommended?

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post

I'm not sure about animal products in aftercare, but I am wary of getting a piercing at a tattoo parlour. Do they have a good reputation?
I don't know about the UK or Australia (where I notice each of you live), but in the US, tattoo parlors are actually the best place to get pierced. They are well-regulated by the state, and the people there are professionals, unlike those who do it in the kiosks in malls and such.

In regards to the OP, if you don't trust any aftercare soap that the piercing place gives you, you could always try to find a vegan variety of anti-microbial soap. And sea-salt solution is vegan automatically. I can't remember if they use alcohol wipes or iodine before the actual piercing (I think alcohol), but that should be vegan. I really can't imagine anything besides that aftercare soap that might be not vegan.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
^ I'm pretty sure so too, but if you want vaseline like the lip stuff (they also do handcreams and things), superdrug in the UK do a vegan version.

You can just use salt-water, sometimes they give you (or reccomend you buy) saline solution. Tattoo places are generally good places to go to get peirced (much better than a clothes shop or something!) and it's usually worth paying extra for (I got an ear peircing in blue bannana - the shame! - because it was cheap and it never healed properly, and it was wonkey, and just not done how it should be at all... it was really silly).

Goodluck!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I had my navel pierced years ago, but I wasn't vegan then... however, I may still be able to help.

In the uk, they'll normally recommend savlon for aftercare (or something similar). This is what I was using:

http://www.savlon.co.uk/products/ant...woundwash.html

I have no idea if it's vegan or not, and I don't have my bottle to check - but as it's an antiseptic wound wash, I'm sure a little research will lead you to a vegan version, and you can just double-check with your piercer that it's fit for purpose. Other than that part of the process, I can't think of much that wouldn't be vegan... they clean the area beforehand, which may or may not be done with a vegan product, then it's clamp, needle, jewellery, and off you go. Clean twice a day.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

^ I'm pretty sure so too, but if you want vaseline like the lip stuff (they also do handcreams and things), superdrug in the UK do a vegan version.
I've still got a few little tubs. I haven't bought vaseline in years, and it keeps forever.

(I can't afford to replace all my stuff, so I use my non-veg*n stuff till it's gone, then replace it with a vegan version).

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deis View Post

I've still got a few little tubs. I haven't bought vaseline in years, and it keeps forever.

(I can't afford to replace all my stuff, so I use my non-veg*n stuff till it's gone, then replace it with a vegan version).
Fair enough, just thought I'd let you know, for when/if you need some more. (I swear lip balmy stuff is addictive though, I'm like permenantly attatched to mine, the more I use it the quicker my lips dry!) I still have pre-vegan stuff too, I didn't have a burning urge to get rid of them or anything! I too just use it up and replace it with a vegan version.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.