VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are recipes for pecan pie made with tofu, but we can't have soy..or eggs..is there any other way to make pecan pie? Thanks!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Okay, seriously sararie, this is your thread title...."pie"?

(just kidding...gotta keep ya on your toes, y'know)

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Should we move it to food?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Do you have a soy-free margarine? If soo...

BRYANNAS NEW IMPROVED RELIABLE VEGAN PECAN PIE

Makes one 9 pie

NOTE: I use cornstarch or wheat starch because they are the most reliable as far as results go. I have not tried this with arrowroot or kuzu, so I cant say what the results would be with either of them.

9 pie crust, unbaked (see my low-fat oil pastry below)

1-2 c. toasted, unsalted pecan halves

FILLING:

You have two choices for the sweetener:

1.) 3/4 c. water plus 3/4 c. white beet sugar or light unbleached cane sugar AND 1/2 c. brown sugar (packed) or Sucanat (granulated sugar cane juice)

OR 2.) 1 and 1/2 c. maple syrup

3/4 c. water

pinch salt

1/4 c. cornstarch (can be organic) (or wheat starch)

mixed with 4 and 1/2 T. cold water OR rum or bourbon

2 T. vegan margarine, such as Earth Balance or Soy Garden

1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Poke the pie crust all over with the tines of a fork and pre-bake for 3 minutes. Remove from oven to a rack.

In a medium saucepan combine either the water and sugar mixture OR the maple syrup with the second 3/4 c. water. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Add the salt and the dissolved cornstarch, whisking vigorously. Stir and cook over high heat just until the mixture thickens and is clear. Remove from heat and stir in the margarine and vanillastir til the margarine is melted. The mixture will still be fairly liquid.

Pour this into the pre-baked pie shell. Arrange the pecan halves on top, pressing them down into the mixture a little. Place the pie in the middle of the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 350 degrees F. Bake 30 minutes. The filling will still be jigglydont worry; it will set as it cools. Cool on a rack for about 1 and 1/2 hours, then refrigerate until thoroughly cooled and set. Serve with vanilla non-dairy ice cream.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry about the title...meant to add more, just got distracted w/two yelling kids.

thanks keelin-yes, I have soy free marg (allergies)- can't wait to try this!

·
Registered
496 Posts
And I found one from the Sinfully Vegan book (page 140 for those who have this book). Calls for oil instead of margerine. I'll PM it to you. Looks pretty easy, I might even try this!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
sorry about the mix up with the forum move/title change. I was getting all sorts of freaky error messages from VB.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I've made Bryanna's recipe too, and it's wonderful!

I have one somewhere that uses tapioca flour (tapioca starch maybe - whatever...) and I like the texture just a little better... is tapioca GF or not? I don't know these things...

My Mom makes a vegan pecan pie with a little tofu blended into the custard-y part. You can't tell it's there kpickell, but I just don't care for it as much as Bryanna's recipe.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok, so since hubby is such a fan of the pecan pie, i made each of the recipes (thanks!)

I also made a pumpkin (which made two pies) and an apple. will let ya know how they turned out after the guests leave.

thanks again!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok, so i made both pecan pies. hubby loved them both. the one by bryanna was great (used the bourbon)

orapunzel, the one you pm'd me was even better, i thought, but i did something a bit wrong and couldn't quite get it to set, so i baked it at 350 for about 25 min and that helped, though it was still a little runny.

thanks everyone! you made my hubby's thanksgiving!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts