VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I'm wondering what veg*an foods you'd take on a picnic? Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Fresh fruits;apples, oranges, watermelon. Veg slices; peppers, tomato, cucumber. Maybe cold salads; lentil, couscous, taboule.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I've been thinking about this lately because I've been craving a nice picnic on the beach now that the sun and flowers are out.

Stuff I might take:

Watermelon slices

Fruit salad

Veggies with Tofutti dill dip

Vegan potato salad

Sandwiches on whole wheat bread (hummus and avocado, chickpea salad, vege pate, etc.)

Iced green tea

Cupcakes

Hmmm, I need more containers.... And an old timey wicker basket!

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Roasting Smartdogs on a fire can be fun.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Anything that works in a packed lunch, like sandwiches, soups in a thermos, salads, etc. Sometimes we just get a pizza and eat it at the park as a picnic.

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
In the summer, I like to make pasta salad with an Italian or vinaigrette dressing, and I put in an assortment of stuff, such as tomatoes, cucumbers, sliced mushrooms, olives, artichoke hearts, peppers (either fresh or fire roasted), hearts of palm, summer squashes, etc. Chickpeas can be added for protein. It's really nice with a crusty baguette.

Tofu, drained, cut into cubes and then marinated in a mixture of water, a good quality soy sauce, a little sesame oil and a bit of liwuid smoke, and then baked until firm is an excellent room temp finger food.

Fruit salad - whatever fruits and berries you have handy, with a little orange juice and cinnamon added.

Brownies.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
you people all make me hungry! i would take some hummus and baby carrots, avocados, sandwiches with tofurky slices, tomatoes and some fruit

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Wine or coffee in a thermos!
Potato salad
Vegetable samosas
Pickles!
Pasta salad
Crisps
Salad
Fruit
Some sort of cake
That kind of thing, deffinatly not sandwhiches because I don't like them that much and I don't want to fill up on mere sandwhiches!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Tubs of raw veggies like carrots, radishes, cherry tomatoes, and fruit like pineapple, strawberries, peaches, plums plus some bananas, satsumas and apple.

Vegi deli slices, falafel, humous, pitta bread, tortilla chips, salsa.

Potato salad and/ or pasta salad, rice salad or couscous salad, or quinoa taboule.

Frozen cartons of orange or tropical juice (if it was a hot day).

Cold pizza, cold tofu quiche, mini sausage rolls or asparagus tarts.

Jam tarts, brownie, cupcakes, chocolate chip cookies.

Probably not all at the same picnic mind you!!!

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

Tubs of raw veggies like carrots, radishes, cherry tomatoes, and fruit like pineapple, strawberries, peaches, plums plus some bananas, satsumas and apple.

Vegi deli slices, falafel, humous, pitta bread, tortilla chips, salsa.

Potato salad and/ or pasta salad, rice salad or couscous salad, or quinoa taboule.

Frozen cartons of orange or tropical juice (if it was a hot day).

Cold pizza, cold tofu quiche, mini sausage rolls or asparagus tarts.

Jam tarts, brownie, cupcakes, chocolate chip cookies.

Probably not all at the same picnic mind you!!!
I want to come to your picnic

I'm hoping to go to Wreck Beach tomorrow for a picnic with the boyfriend but it's a little cloudy out at the moment... I'm using all my vegan psychic powers to will it to be sunny tomorrow!

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I want to go on a picnic now!!! I might go into London to a park next week and just stop at Whole Foods market on the way as they have lots of yummy stuff like vegan cakes!

A normal picnic would be vegan sausage rolls, rice and pasta salad, olives, crisps and wine probably.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

A normal picnic would be vegan sausage rolls, rice and pasta salad, olives, crisps and wine probably.
I'm not normal. What would an abnormal picnic be?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas peeps!

Next week Sunday is my 1 year anniversary. We had an outdoor wedding and picnic dinner for the reception. Well some ugly stuff happened at my wedding (I invited family
LOL)

Anyways one of my dear friends brought up the fact that we should have a BBQ and celebrate our 1 year and do the reception over correctly. I love the idea!!! Anyways I know that I can't completely get rid off the meat (hubby isn't there yet) but everything else can be.

These ideas are perfect.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I take a black bean salad to picnics. It has drained canned black beans, yellow bell peppers, tomatoes (I prefer cherry tomatoes and cut them in half, less messy that way), red onions, and avocado (added at the last minute), tossed in a zesty Italian dressing. When I was a lacto-ovo I would put shredded cheese in it, but now I just omit it, or when I have it, I'll add daiya.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I take most of what was listed by Lucky Charm however, I like to get some chips and veggie styled dips. I have not aced the Veggie dogs or slices of lunch"meat"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts