VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember a while ago when I complained about ankle problems. Well, I'm gonna skip the details and say that my mom finally took me to the doctor, and he perscribed physical theropy.

What should I expect? I asked someone and he said that it hurt when he had physical theropy. Ummmm, am I gonna be limping or something afterwards?

I just wanna know what I should expect. If you've ever had p.t., please shair your stories.

I go for the first time on Tuesday.

Yikes!

Jennifer

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your PT experience will vary greatly depending on your situation. Since you're not coming back from a serious injury or surgery, I don't think your PT will be painful at all. I would expect the physical therapist to first do a thorough examination of your ankle, maybe looking at flexibility, strength, watch you walk, etc. Then, they'll probably take you through a series of ankle exercises such as balancing on one leg, ankle movement with a resistance band, etc. Sometimes they use an ultrasound on injuries (such as Achilles tendonitis) to stimulate blood flow. But, you don't feel a thing when they do it. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Now I"m still scared, but feeling a bit better.

I wouldn't mind an ultrasound if it'll make blood flow better... as it is, I can't wear short socks because it'll cut off my blood flow.

Okay, well, I'll let you know how it goes. And again, thanks for the responce.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I'm currently in Physio for a torn MCL. It's been fantastic. Some of the therapies are kind of uncomfortable, but they have helped so much!!!!

Make sure you do the perscribed exercises and good luck!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm going twice a week now, and today will be my 3rd time, I can go up to 30 times in a year, after that the health insurance won't pay.

The first time they did electric theropy, the second time they did both electric theropy and one of those look-at-the-baby things (only there isn't a baby in my ankle
). I havn't been given any exercises yet, b/c the theropist is working on this lump on my ankle and trying to get it to go away-he currently dosn't know what it is. Supposidly, that'll make my ankle feel better and stronger. He can't do a MRI on the ankle, because he has nothing to compare it to, what with all the scar tissue and everything.

I have been told to "massage" my ankle every other day where the lump is, in hopes that if the lump is only scar tissue, that'll help. I would rather he told me to run a mile or something like that, because massageing scar tissue makes me want to puke... I am getting more use to the feeling, but still....

Okay, that's all so far. Thanks for caring,

Jennifer

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
in some cases, it's just hard work, like any form of exercise. it's not painful or scary. it's usually just hard work. no big deal.

in other cases, it's a lot of heat therapy, gentle stretches, even adjutsments. it really depends upon what the situation is, what your needs are.

after physical therapy, do yoga.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, so I've gone a couple times now, not sher how many. My ankle is much stronger then it was before- yay!

Next Teusday I have my last p.t. sesion before I go back to the dr. hopefully, the doc. will say that I don't need any more p.t. and then I will have my 2/days/week back!

Jennifer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts