VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know anything about Photoshop problems, or a good site where I can ask about them?

I've just had an error message on a file. It's a picture I've been working on all week to get finished on time and now as I've practically finished it this error has come up and (as you can probably imagine) I am totally freaked, there's no way I can start this picture all over again and get it done on time so if I can't get this fixed I'm stuck.

Basically every time I try to open the file (which I have had no problem in opening all week) a message comes up saying:

"Could not open *file name* because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop"

WTF?! how can it not be compatible? This version oh Photoshop (Adobe 2.0) is the only version I've used for this file, it's the only version I had it saved on, and the version I have had no problem in opening it on all week, so why is it suddenly not compatible?

If anyone could shed some light on this I'd be very grateful!

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
It may have gotten corrupted during a save. You should always keep at least 1 backup. With photoshop, I usually keep multiple backups. Every time I do a substantial amount of change, I save it under a new name. So I have a succession of files showing the various phases of production. If I want to go back I have a whole array to chose from. I think there is some way to store dif versions in the same file, perhaps it would have to be a psd file. But I'd still make at least one backup.

You can also layer your changes. Go to Layer > New > Adjustment Layer. Then when you are finished you merge the layers you want to keep, or flatten them all into one layer, and discard the layers you want to discard. And yes, you can't save to anything but a psd, if you haven't merged or flattened all the layers.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

Photoshop 2.0?!

Dare I ask what operating system you're using? (Might help narrow down the problem.)
I'm using Windows XP.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts