VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I signed up to take photography class next year and purchased a nice camera. I was pretty excited about the class until I was reminded that there are animal products in film.

Do any of you vegans out there pursue photography? I don't shun the use of cameras or anything, I just think that maybe taking a photography CLASS, where you take and develop pictures everyday, might be...wrong? bad? exploitive?

At the same time, I love photography and would really like the opportunity to learn more about it and take a class at no cost.

What would you do? How do other vegans deal with this?

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
0 Posts
I dabble in photography here and there. It's such a small amount of animal content in the film that I don't stress over it. I mean, sure it's in the back of my mind, but I use many things throughout the day that probably has or had some animal connection to a point. The bottom line is, do what feels right for you. I don't think you bad if take the class.

Hey, maybe you'll end up the nations leading representation for animal rights via your photography. You'd certainly be doing more good than harm by continuing your plan's on taking the class. Go for it and don't beat yourself up over the film thing.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I have been a photographer for about as long as I have been veg, over ten years. When I first started working in the industry, I didn't think much about the gelatin in the film. But as I gained more knowledge about veganism, it began to bother me a bit. I still work in photography, but I am working my way out of it (partly for the vegan reason, partly for other reasons). It's just one of those things that you would need to decide for yourself. As you know, it's very difficult to completely eliminate all animal products from everything we use, but digital photography is one way to go if the conventional film does end up being bothersome for you.

Regardless of what you do, you shouldn't feel bad about it. It's just another decision to make.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That bugs me too. I scrapbook alot so I also take pictrues alot for that and when school strarts I'm taking photography. Mybe one day someone will event vegan film but I really like photography so I'm gonna keep doing it and try to get a digital camera as soon as I can. ( i dont think digital camera would have animal parts in them casue they dont use film i might be wrong)

·
Registered
142 Posts
digital cameras don't use film, you just plug it into your computer and upload them from there, and you can use a printer to print out pictures. as for the ink, i'd have to look into that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by VeganChick15

That bugs me too. I scrapbook alot so I also take pictrues alot for that and when school strarts I'm taking photography. Mybe one day someone will event vegan film but I really like photography so I'm gonna keep doing it and try to get a digital camera as soon as I can. ( i dont think digital camera would have animal parts in them casue they dont use film i might be wrong)
I thought fujifilm(or another one) has 'film' without gelatin on it? Only when you print the film on photopaper then it gets also gelatin on it, isn't it? Maybe you should ask around.

Btw, don't know if a digital camera has parts from animals. Maybe some glue. In your monitors / tv you can also find some gelatin, so maybe in digital cameras too.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It sounds like an awesome opportunity!
Please don't let it go over a microscopic amount of gelatin. If you do, you might as well give up driving also. Most cars contain animal products, you know. You can't be perfect, and that's fine. Just to the best you can do. You are already doing more good than most people would do in ten lifetimes just by giving up meat! Not to mention, dairy and eggs! Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
This is one of life's little questions that you need to decide for yourself. If it bothers you then don't do it but if it doesn't then go ahead.

Ashley

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I wouldn't let it bother you too much. I would like to invest in a really good digital camera, though, since I usually end up scanning my pictures anyway. And there's so much you can do with pictures on the computer, different but comparable to all the developing techniques you learn. I'm sure there are some great classes out there on working with images on the computer.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
The pictures themselves contain gelatin, even the non-glossy type.

I'm saving for a digital camera (a good one), but when I have one, I wouldn't have them printed like ordinary pictures.

Some kinds of photo paper for printing yourself contain gelatin too.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I took photography last year and it was a great experience. I feel like this is one of those things where there really isn't a better option, since we weren't allowed to use digital. All of my classes required me to use books, and they have glue in the binding, but I took the class anyway. Don't feel guilty- you are already doing a wonderful thing by being vegan and caring in the first place.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I took every photography @ my college and I loved every minute of it. I don't think you should give up that experience! You do the best you can do. If you feel you would be missing something by NOT taking the class then you need to take it. Photography really changed my life, so I would never like to see someone pass up the oppurtunity to experience that. Once you take it, and if you get into it, then you can decide for yourself. If it is really important to you, you may seek out other options such as digital--as other people have mentioned.

I own a 35mm manual camera and a digital. Honestly, I get a different satisfaction out of the 35mm. There's nothing that compares to taking a picture with a camera that requires you to do all the work. Not to mention the satisfaction of developing and printing. Awww, it's so much fun. Now, I try to use digital the most. But, I don't know that I could ever give up 35mm. I love that camera!!! You can't be perfect all the time, and what is perfect anyway? Do what you love and don't regret it. As you go you will learn what you want and don't want. Don't stress now! Enjoy your class! And have fun!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.