VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went downtown Halifax today and got some pics at the waterfront and also at the city Public Gardens. It was a really warm day and the sky was really blue. Nice to get out and take some photos again

Take a look if you like ... ask questions if you want.

http://www.dkingdesign.com/photos/halifax_may19_2003/

All photos taken with the Minolta d'image 7i digital camera ... adjusted, cropped and colour corrected with ulead PhotoImpact 8

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm going to comment on them all, photo by photo (mostly because dpchallenge.com is boring these days and I haven't done any good photo critiquing for a while :p).

acadia1.jpg - I like the effect of the flags all blowing in the breeze, but the camera angle seems a little bit clumsy because of the slant on that wooden beam along the bottom. Maybe some rotation and cropping out the beam would improve it. The sunlight is very bright and a few places go close to being overexposed. Also, it seems like you compressed it a bit too much.

duck1.jpg - You cut off its tail, and the face is in shadow. Nice depth of field though, and the feathers are very sharply focussed. Again, bright sunlight is not your friend

gardens1.jpg - Very pretty
. That tree is amazing, and using the rule of thirds keeps a sense of order to the photo so the flowers don't compete too much with the tree. There are some overexposed parts on the flowers in the foreground, though.

gardens2.jpg - Not as well composed. In this one the flowers and the tree seem to have equal status, and your eyes jump up and down looking at each one. This reduces the photo's impact.

gardens3.jpg - Overexposed sky. It's pretty, but I would be tempted to cut off the right hand side, so that the tree branches that come in there are cropped out entirely. They're a distraction. This would cut the flower beds, but I don't think that's a big problem. The people in the background are nice, giving the photo a sense of scale and depth.

gardens_fountain.jpg - I would crop out the end of the bench on the left edge. The trailing twigs in the top left hand corner are really nice. Actually, cropping a little off the right edge and the bottom would be nice too. The exposure and focus are good on this, and the water spurting out of the horn is great

goose1.jpg - A little overexposed. I like the framing on this with the ducks in the background. Good photo.

goose2.jpg - Better view of the goose's face, but still bright on the breast. I can see that you squatted for these photos, but an even lower angle might have been nicer. I know that's hard

goose_close.jpg - Nice alternative cropping, but the little bit of duck in the top left, and the overexposed breast feathers are distracting.

harbour_hopper.jpg - Difficult to make sense of because of all the horizontal lines. The horizon, buildings, and boats all kind of stack up against one another and lead the eye left and right, out of the photo.

pomeranian1.jpg - Cute! but the tail is overexposed and the sleeve of the jumper in the background should have been moved if possible! Nice sharp focus on all that fluff

pomeranian_close.jpg - Heh, nice crop. The fur has such an interesting effect, all those lines leading radially outward from the face. It draws your eyes right in. Maybe if you'd left in the front legs, you would have fulfilled the rule of thirds a bit better and the composition would feel tighter.

sleepy_ducks.jpg - Sweet. Nice lighting on this one. I don't think the pigeons help though. A tighter closeup just on the ducks would be more harmonious.

theodore_tug.jpg - Whoa! Weird. I wouldn't want to see that if I was stoned... Hehe, I don't really know what to make of this photo. That thing is strange and ugly :p

theodore_tug2.jpg - That thing again!! Much better composed this time though. This is a good photo, even if the subject matter freaks me out!

Well, that felt good! I used to comment and rate on over 100 photos a week, but I don't have time these days. Feel free to look at my photos at http://www.lisa3d.org.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.