VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Cool! Even if still a 'fantasy' concept ... or so I thought at first.

Then it occured to me; from where is the little beggars gonna find enough unpoisoned pollen?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I've always wanted to have a beehive for the hell of it. Of course I wouldn't disturb them or try to get honey. But I would really love to assist with restoring the declining population.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

I've always wanted to have a beehive for the hell of it. Of course I wouldn't disturb them or try to get honey. But I would really love to assist with restoring the declining population.
Me too. If I didn't live in an apartment I'd do it.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Me too. If I didn't live in an apartment I'd do it.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:

I don't think that removing excess honey from a hive is optional.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

I don't think that removing excess honey from a hive is optional.
What do bees that don't have bee keepers do though? They must have a way of self regulating in the wild.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

What do bees that don't have bee keepers do though? They must have a way of self regulating in the wild.
They rebuild raided hives and build brand new ones.

An unraided hive would eventualy become unhabitable due to excess honey going rancid.

Kinda like a bee keeper, essentialy to the bees cycle, takes the place of displaced natural hive raiders.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Well then I would let my bees live in the artificial hive until they got tired of it and moved on to build a new one. Then I would clean out the hive of excess honey and start over again.

But that doesn't really matter in the first place since what you're saying isn't exactly the truth. Having to clean out excess honey from a hive is as much of a myth as saying that cows must be milked in order to stay healthy. It's something that happens in the industry, and is indeed necessary to the animals in the industry as well as the industry itself, but it's still an artificial concept implanted there by the fact that the industry exists in the first place.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

An unraided hive would eventualy become unhabitable due to excess honey going rancid.
I thought honey didn't go bad....?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

I thought honey didn't go bad....?
That's after they add insanely large amounts of chemicals and preservatives to it. Regular honey is just bee barf and thus will go bad after a while. Especially in its wild organic state, where it's just allowed to sit around and rot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts