VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend wanted to go and look at the puppies, even though she is well aware of my beliefs and proof read my research paper on puppymills
so I went with her I was curious to see how the dogs are treated.
Anyways, they had puggles that could fit into my palm with signs saying "Hey, I'm new and not ready to play yet!" I was wondering...aren't these puppies supposed to be with their mothers still?
Puggle isnt a terribly small breed so they had to be pretty young.
Oh and they had a couple dogs (not sure of breed) that were hairless except for the face? All the puppies were shaking, but these ones were shivering so much my eyes started to tear. Not sure of what to do, but I atleast think they should have blankets to be COVERED with not lay on...

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Many puppies are taken early from mothers, except with reputable breeders. This is because they are physically ready, in that they don't need her milk anymore, but they still need to be with siblings and mothers to learn important lessons, like about biting. It's not uncommon that dogs are taken as soon as possible, though.

Were the dogs Chinese Cresteds, maybe? Regardless, it they were shivering they obviously visibly need blankets and/or a sweeater, shirt, pj's, something! Even Pugs, with their thick skin and lots of fur (especially with double coat Pugs), are very sensitive to temperatures, and Frank shivers and whines when there's even just a light chilly breeze outside or it's below 60-70 in the house, so I can imagine that for dogs with exposed skin, especially puppies at a pet store, that probably have little fat and are having their growth stunted (it's common that dogs are fed minimal amounts to starve them of nutrients so they're 'teacup' size, like my uncle and aunt did with their Maltese by feeding it 1 tablespoon of food a day as a puppy), must be really, really freezing.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Only some states have laws that mandate puppies must stay with their mothers for the first 8 weeks. And even when there's a law it's not always enforced.
It's very likely those puppies were too young to be separated from their mommies.

Whenever you see something that you think rises to the level of animal cruelty of neglect, you can report it to your local animal control. Remember, the more reports they get, the more likely an investigation. So encourage other people to file reports when they witness cruelty or neglect too.

Whenever anyone you know talks about getting a dog from a petstore or a breeder, tell them about petfinder.com - it's a fantastic online database of rescued animals who are available for adoption (dogs, cats, rabbits, all kinds!) and you can search by breed, age, size, etc.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Whenever anyone you know talks about getting a dog from a petstore or a breeder, tell them about petfinder.com - it's a fantastic online database of rescued animals who are available for adoption (dogs, cats, rabbits, all kinds!) and you can search by breed, age, size, etc.
I do this all the time! ESPECIALLY when people argue that they want a certain breed and only mutts are in shelters. (Not that there's anything wrong with mutts!)

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Only some states have laws that mandate puppies must stay with their mothers for the first 8 weeks. And even when there's a law it's not always enforced.
It's very likely those puppies were too young to be separated from their mommies.

Whenever you see something that you think rises to the level of animal cruelty of neglect, you can report it to your local animal control. Remember, the more reports they get, the more likely an investigation. So encourage other people to file reports when they witness cruelty or neglect too.

Yeah I do that!
I found my family's chihuahua on petfinder & pumpkin.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan724 View Post

I do this all the time! ESPECIALLY when people argue that they want a certain breed and only mutts are in shelters. (Not that there's anything wrong with mutts!)
Our full blooded red dachshund came from one of the worst shelters in this area. People dump dogs of all kinds.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
breeds SCHMEEEDS
if the dogs cute gimmegimmegimme :]
hahahaaha.

i sent my mom a pic of one of the puppies and she said

AWE SO CUTE...but you cant save them all

humph ='/

·
Registered
331 Posts
This gets me pissed off. I have worked with a dog rescue organization for twenty years. I have busted puppy mills and fostered a hundred dogs, at least. These stores do great harm in the world. They do take puppies away from their moms too soon. They mix sick dogs with healthy dogs. They sell them into horrible situations. They encourage and support puppy mills. They encourage over breeding and bad, unhealthy breeding. They are a frikken pox on society. They represent the mentality that doesn't give a sh!t about the source of their income. They are basically predators living off of suffering.

I'm not a PETA guy but, many of these chain stores have terrible records for creating suffering for dogs, cats, lizards, birds, etc.. Animals have no more meaning for them than a quick dollar. Lord knows how many dogs we have rescued that started out at these places. My old rescue girl started out like that. She was starved for water and was sick when I got her. She was a foster failure for me. It was love at first sight. She is my constant companion. She's very smart, loyal, funny and happy. She goes camping with me. She is going on 16 years old so the camping is RV-ing now. She sleeps between my wife and my pillows at night and loves breakfast.

When I think about the abusive situation she came from I just don't get how they couldn't see how exceptional she is. She's very loving and just wants to be loved. It's pretty simple.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts