VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started reading peter singers animal liberation and feel so inspired about from vegan*ism though what else can i do to help?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wish i was somesort of artist then i could use art as a medium to bring attention the issues, i think in some ways that is more powerful.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I'm writing a book that I hope will help a lot of people with respect to veg*nism. It's fun, and it feels great.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kpickell

actor, writer, cook, what don't you do epski?
Well, despite what my wife says, I'm not much of a cook.

I also don't scuba dive. Uh... I don't sky dive. Ooh, the dive thing is working. Um, I don't know how to fly a plane, so I could never do a nose dive...

You do know I also direct, right?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blueserendipity

I've just started reading peter singers animal liberation and feel so inspired about from vegan*ism though what else can i do to help?
I say keep informing yourself, and spread the word. That's so important. Don't underestimate yourself.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
And he's pretty much the anti-globalist, so you should dig him even more, Mr. Alpaca.

(Disclaimer: I liked Animal Liberation and find it's an important book.)

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I thought my answer covered it.

Keep educating yourself and make sure you are able to speak from an informed and logical position (like Singer) to everyone you meet.

If you feel the need to become more physically involved, volunteer for or donate money to an organization that you identify with. Try tabling at certain events to hand out literature, "Meet Your Meat" videos, and to positively promote a vegan lifestyle.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by That Alpaca Guy

I havent read much of his work, but what I have read I have liked.

besides, his an Aussie, so + there!
Singer's work is fantastic. I've read so far:

One World: the Ethics of Globalisation (i think that's the right title)

Rethinking Life and Death

Writings on an Ethical Life

I want to read Animal Liberation but its so outdated (76 I think?) I wonder if its worth it?

He [Singer] is the reason I became Veggie in the first place. I was reading Writings on an Ethical Life when I decided.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thefragile77

I want to read Animal Liberation but its so outdated (76 I think?) I wonder if its worth it?
There's a second edition that seems to be about 1995 (although one of the prefaces is dated 1989).

·
Registered
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurmudgeon

There's a second edition that seems to be about 1995 (although one of the prefaces is dated 1989).
Oh ok. I was wondering if he had updated the info. I'll check it out though - even if only because it was one of the first Animal Lib books [if not in fact the first].

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by epski

Keep educating yourself and make sure you are able to speak from an informed and logical position (like Singer) to everyone you meet.

If you feel the need to become more physically involved, volunteer for or donate money to an organization that you identify with. Try tabling at certain events to hand out literature, "Meet Your Meat" videos, and to positively promote a vegan lifestyle.
You did its just i suppose i wanted specifics, anyhow i found the answer form the man himself: (in writings on an ethical life)

"the animal liberation movement should folloqw the examples of the two greatest - and not coincidentally, most successul leaders of liberation movemnts in modern time: Gandhi and Martin Luther King. With Immense courage and resolution, they stuck to the prinicples of non violence despite the provocations and often violent attakcs of their opponents. In the end, they succeded because the justice of their cause could not be denied and because their behaviour touched the consciences even of those who had oposed thme. The struggle to extend the sphere of moral concern to nonhumans animals may even be even harder and longer, but if it is pursured with the same determination and moral resolve, it will surely also succeed."

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by epski

You did its just i suppose i wanted specifics, anyhow i found the answer form the man himself: (in writings on an ethical life)

"the animal liberation movement should folloqw the examples of the two greatest - and not coincidentally, most successul leaders of liberation movemnts in modern time: Gandhi and Martin Luther King. With Immense courage and resolution, they stuck to the prinicples of non violence despite the provocations and often violent attakcs of their opponents. In the end, they succeded because the justice of their cause could not be denied and because their behaviour touched the consciences even of those who had oposed thme. The struggle to extend the sphere of moral concern to nonhumans animals may even be even harder and longer, but if it is pursured with the same determination and moral resolve, it will surely also succeed."

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blueserendipity

You mean you want to to something for animals ?

Er....

Join some mailing lists and send out emails / letters / phonecalls to the company's / politicians they mention.

Get some leaflets that you think are reasonable and ask if the local liberary will display them

Write a letter to newspapers as comment on the animal related news they bring.

Maybe you could join a (quiet) peta or other animal rights protest action some time.

Things like that.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Leading by example will gather more sincere converts than all the flyers in the world. I find that the less I advertise and talk about my beliefs, the more people are interested in them.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.