VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Hey, thanks for posting that. The episode is being repeated a few times today; I'm planning to catch the last repeat at 8:30 tonight.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I saw it last night, it was a pretty short segment and rather uneventful, except they talked about eating babies.

~Wondre

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cftwo View Post

Isn't it interesting how they put him on a set with the Nativity Scene and the fake sheep?
He's had that set up for awhile. It wasn't unique to Peter Singer's interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I've at times felt a small crush on Colbert
Who hasn't?

~Wondre

·
Registered
119 Posts
Stephen Colbert is a comedian...so, his show is comedic. Some people may find him annoying, but his show is not meant to be taken seriously.

I also find him hot for some damn reason. But I have no idea why!

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Yeah in case some people haven't figured it out, he is playing/satirizing conservative TV hosts like Bill O'Reilly.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I thought it was kinda funny, not one of Colbert's best. It didn't really do much for Singer's cause though, did it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know. All of my friends watch the Colbert Report religiously, and if a guest can hold his own against Stephen Colbert they have a higher opinion of that person, or check out their book, or whatever, moreso than they would if that person just appeared on Good Morning America.

Singer made some good points and didn't let Stephen walk all over him, so I'd say the interview was a success. The only point of an author going on any show, afterall, is just to let people know that your book exists.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post

I don't know. All of my friends watch the Colbert Report religiously, and if a guest can hold his own against Stephen Colbert they have a higher opinion of that person, or check out their book, or whatever, moreso than they would if that person just appeared on Good Morning America.

Singer made some good points and didn't let Stephen walk all over him, so I'd say the interview was a success. The only point of an author going on any show, afterall, is just to let people know that your book exists.
Yeah, I guess you're right. He didn't look bad, so that's good I guess.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Yeah in case [strike]some people[/strike] Azalea [strike]haven't[/strike] hasn't figured it out, he is playing/satirizing conservative TV hosts like Bill O'Reilly.
see, that makes more sense

doh

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Despite what some people think of Colbert, studies have recently shown that more people tune into his show than "real" national news shows, so being on his show is a "big deal". It was actually good that Colbert brought up "typical" Omni objections to vegetarianism. Vegetarians are hardly ever preaching to the chorus-- To hear them out loud like that and on a very popular national program is actually very good for Veg*anism because it makes people hear how silly they sound (e.g. If animals were not put on eath to be eaten, why do they taste so good?). Whether or not people eat meat, and the abuse and exploitation of animals especially those used for food should be part of the national debate. Since PETA has basically destroyed their credibility with their antics, it goes to more level headed information campaigns.

Personally, I thought Singer was very defensive and blew several chances to disseminate serious information because of Colberts agressive comedy. He could have ignored the baby eating coment and the animal sex references and used the time for something more constructive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i agree with gita. colbert was actually doing a better job at making the meat eater's side seem silly than singer was doing at defending his. i've read enough of singer to say i disagree with major aspects in his philosophy, but he didn't even use his own rational arguments for vegetarianism and animal "rights" (singer doesn't actually believe in rights for neither humans nor animals, though he uses the word as a rhetorical device.)

instead, he focused on abstaining from meat as "moving beyond" or being more evolved, which sounded more patronising than enlightening. his sarcastic comment about the great apes supporting conservative politics (were they allowed to vote) made me cringe for similar reasons. it felt like he was more concerned with winning the game of wit than with making animal rights sound reasonable to viewers.

to singer's defence, animal rights are too complex to make a good argument for in that type of format even if he tried harder. i still think his appearance did little to advance his beliefs in people's minds.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thephnee View Post

instead, he focused on abstaining from meat as "moving beyond" or being more evolved, which sounded more patronising than enlightening. his sarcastic comment about the great apes supporting conservative politics (were they allowed to vote) made me cringe for similar reasons. it felt like he was more concerned with winning the game of wit than with making animal rights sound reasonable to viewers.
Unfortunately not a lot of omnivores are going to buy in to the enlightened "children of the sun" defense right after he has just told them to "find another God." Following a religious insult with a claim of enlightenment is not cool. I am intrested in hearing what he has to say, and will try to find some things written by him, but deep down, I sense an "Earth-2" idealist here.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I don't think a lot of people are scrambling to buy his book. After I viewed the interview, I pulled up the book at Amazon, and its sales rank is in the 14,000 range. Not exactly a bestseller. I saw some reviews, and some reviewers seemed insensed that the authors are "biased and preachy towards veganism". Well, duh. Did they even read the book?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts