VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great interview with Peter Singer, from the Independent reposted on veganoutreach where he answers reader questions. I think I agreed with almost everything he had to say.

http://www.veganoutreach.org/enewsle...ingerchat.html

- What do you think of the people who are trying to shut down Huntington Life Sciences laboratories?

- Where should one draw the line between legitimate and illegitimate direct action?

- Isn't it contradictory to ascribe human-based rights to animals?

- Should we force dogs and lions to stop eating meat?

- You have argued we should not eat other animals but you draw a line at the oyster. How do you know oysters aren't sentient?

- Would turning to a vegan/vegetarian diet be a first step towards restoring our moral well-being?

- If you were starving and meat was the only sustenance available, would you eat it?

- If you had to decide between shooting 10 healthy cows and one healthy human you would have a difficult choice, Why?

- And are dogs confined in homes - often alone all day - any better off than dogs taking their chances on the streets?

- Are zoos immoral?

Etc, etc.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
This is very cool.

Thanks for posting.

Even though I logically agree with Singer about the ineffectiveness of the ALF (and co.) tactics, my heart still loves to hear a good liberation story and admires those guys (and girls.) I guess I'm torn about that issue.

What is the most immoral thing you have ever done?

Spending too much money on myself when others need it a lot more.

This reply touched me.

It's a very honest, telling answer.

After reading this interview, I like Singer alot more.....still don't know what to think about the infanticide issue, but I guess I do see where he's coming from with it. It's a weird thing to think about.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
My disagreement with him is mainly (aside from Utilitarianism) about his insistence that plans for the future are relevant for the justifiability of killing.

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
Does he really only wash once a month, or was he joking?

I have great respect for this man although I strongly disagree with him on some issues. But that does not take away the fact that I will take my hat off for him any day.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was one of the answers I realy liked because he had a reason for the line he drew, rather than the arbitrary line most people draw at kingdom status.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I don't really see how someone so opposed to the murder of animals can justify killing a disabled baby. But then again, I'm pro life so I guess our perspectives are different. He's still a really great mind, and has done a lot for raising AR awareness.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

My disagreement with him is mainly (aside from Utilitarianism) about his insistence that plans for the future are relevant for the justifiability of killing.
Good point.

Dr Singer didn't duck the tough questions. I still have a problem with his support of infanticide in some instances... but I have problems with euthanasia in general, even though I have had it done for seriously-ill companion animals. Reading this interview, I think that much (not necessarily all) of the negative publicity he's gotten has been the result of people misunderstanding or deliberately distorting his views.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.