VeggieBoards banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<a href="http://www.ksl.com/?nid=711&sid=18100075&title=peta-thanksgiving-turkey-might-as-well-eat-your-dog" target="_blank">http://www.ksl.com/?nid=711&sid=1810...l-eat-your-dog</a><br><br>
If you want to see stupidity in pure unadulterated form check out the comments on the news story...<br>
Vote on the survey question too... I did and was not surprised to find that the vast majority think PETA goes too far. People don't seem to get that it is not the ad that goes too far...<br>
I see comments like these and I just want to get a big stick and start beating some sense into people (at least beat them hard enough to knock the blinders off)<br><br>
{sarcasm}Gosh! don't tell my children that they are eating a dead abused bird because it might make them not want to eat it after i slaved away all day cooking it for them to eat.<br>
Those dang PETA terrorists people need to stop putting ads up like this and making my kids upset about something they are emotionally attached too. We wouldn't want them to know that we are killing turkeys, at least not until I am finished indoctrinating them and they are totally desensitized to the abuse. then by all means feel free to take your best shot at waking them up!{/sarcasm}<br><br>
And of course I am not really surprised at how biased the report is. They start it off with "An animal rights group wants to make you feel guilty about what you eat for Thanksgiving."<br>
They interviewed three people and they all had a negative opinion of vegetarianism.<br>
My favorite "Turkeys have always been for food... I mean it is what I teach my children"

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think a lot of what PETA does is ridiculous (and maybe that's their intention. After all, publicity is publicity.) But I like this one. It makes people think.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm not a fan of PETA, but I like this angle. I'm not really crazy about the picture of a dog's head on a turkey's body though. It looks stupid, and I think less people may take the ad seriously because of that. The idea that we've been conditioned to eat some animals and love others is still a good way to approach things though.<br><br>
The ignorant comments don't surprise me at all.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
The ad isn't offensive at all, but people are acting like it is. I like it, and I think if I had someone to point out these things when I was younger, I may have gone veg sooner.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I agree, I'm sure they could have a better picture than the photoshopped turkeydog.<br>
I once saw this picture that would be almost perfect for a situation like this, I wish I could find it again.<br><br>
It said something like "speciesism in perspective." There was a person at the dinner table getting ready to eat a puppy while a pig snoozed nearby in his own pet bed. I want to make that into a poster and put it in my room. It would serve as a reminder to me why I hold the beliefs that I do. As a bonus, if an omni sees it it would be a very effective way to get them thinking without even having to read any words or explain anything. Just the sight of a puppy on a plate is enough to catch people's attention really quickly.<br><br>
Now make something like that, but with a turkey in the pig's place, put it on those billboards and we're set.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, I laughed at quite a few of the comments. But PETA is doing it's job by doing things like this, and getting easy publicity....

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Do I need PETA's permission to use the picture on this years Christmas cards?<br><br>
I like anything that gives meat-eaters the kick in the nuts they need, btw.

·
3,936 Posts
I like the photoshop of the turkey with the dog's head.....I've seen quite a few of those photoshops of chimera animals...there was a photoshop competition on Fark where people made these sort of pictures....like the chipmunkantula..<br><br>
This is the sort of think Peta should do more of...and get away from the sex conflation.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I agree with previous posters: this is one of the good things PETA does, I wish they'd do more stuff like this.<br><br>
It's also good some of the veg*n arguments go into the news segment, despite the ridiculous comments by the street people.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
People who own a turkey as a pet would probably not eat that fowl for thanksgiving either.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
57% think it may be upsetting. I'm not sure why. When PETA does something controversial, it gets 10 pages. When they do something people more agree with, it gets one page. It's sad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts