VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been some threads about this a while ago but I wanted to know if there were any more people who have been peta interns. Please do tell about your experiences! I am finally 18 so I can apply!!
I heard that they get a lot of interns from Canada (where I live) but I can't seem to find any information on what type of visa I would need. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I hate to be "that guy" but here's an opposing view - again, from Matt Ball, a guy who should be quoted often:

Quote:
The animals need people doing local public outreach in all areas of the country. This type of outreach is done in people's spare time without pay. Even though you may not like your job, this type of a life can be more fulfilling than working for a national animal rights organization. You can do the type of activism you like with no one else telling you what to do and how to do it. Working for a national organization will often relegate you to menial or 'gofer' tasks, and you will feel as frustrated as you do in your current job except that you will probably be making less. The exceptions to this rule are people who really click with the group they are working for and people who have special or long-developed talents that are highly valued and hard to come by. People usually develop these talents by doing activism in their spare time for many years. My suggestion is to try to discover on your own what type of activism you like to do and where your talents can help the animals most in the long run. Once you have discovered this, if you feel like a national group could help you in using your talents, then investigate working for them. Talk to current employees to get different opinions on how it is to work for a particular organization.
When not working for a potential employer, you may be treated with respect. But upon employment, you may be surprised that you are treated disrespectfully. Be aware of this possible change in attitude. Don't feel bad about confronting them about the treatment or leaving if it continues.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

I hate to be "that guy" but here's an opposing view - again, from Matt Ball, a guy who should be quoted often:
I'm not talking about working for them. It's just a 2 month internship that could help me learn some activist skills.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts