VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
What have you done now, Peta?

The author of the article is actually quite fair handed and doesn't fall for peta's attempt at trolling for publicity (well, besides writing an article about it). He/she points out quite dispassionately (perhaps it's a sign of the media's resignation to the fact that "peta will be peta") that they're doing it for publicity and also notes that tanuki really are killed for their fur.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Well that's pretty stupid. I've always hated fur, and I used to play Mario Brothers 3 a lot when I was a little kid. It was my favorite Nintendo game. I always knew that raccoon suit was magical. I never thought it was real fur. The thought had never even occurred to me before now. I don't understand why they would choose to focus on something like this.

By the way, it is way too easy to die in that game on Peta's website...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonerism View Post

Well that's pretty stupid. I've always hated fur, and I used to play Mario Brothers 3 a lot when I was a little kid. It was my favorite Nintendo game. I always knew that raccoon suit was magical. I never thought it was real fur. The thought had never even occurred to me before now. I don't understand why they would choose to focus on something like this.
Same here! I didn't dwell on it much, but I probably thought it was a faux-fur costume.

Ugh, PETA needs to just chill out.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii36 View Post

http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-wearing-mario
Any opinions on this one?
Why do you phrase your title that way? You know that isn't PETA's point - their point with the protest was that this makes the hideous slaughter of those poor racoon dogs out to be entertaining. Your title was inaccurate and inflammatory. But perhaps you chose that just to get somebody to look at your post, sort of a National Enquirer effort? And as for the rest of you, getting sucked into this 'let's hate PETA' excercise again and completely ignoring the fact of what they are really protesting which is the way those poor animals die. Man, get incensed over something that matters! They don't care about stupid Mario, but any depiction of an animal being brutalised should be protested at!

How many of you have watched that video that shows the bloody death of one of those little critters? It is so stomach turning, and the ending is burned into my memory! and it's so awful that I have to work at not thinking about it and you guys waste air whining about PETA and their protests at a game that makes out like that 'fur industry' is fun.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsmom View Post

Why do you phrase your title that way? You know that isn't PETA's point - their point with the protest was that this makes the hideous slaughter of those poor racoon dogs out to be entertaining. Your title was inaccurate and inflammatory. But perhaps you chose that just to get somebody to look at your post, sort of a National Enquirer effort? And as for the rest of you, getting sucked into this 'let's hate PETA' excercise again and completely ignoring the fact of what they are really protesting which is the way those poor animals die. Man, get incensed over something that matters! They don't care about stupid Mario, but any depiction of an animal being brutalised should be protested at!

How many of you have watched that video that shows the bloody death of one of those little critters? It is so stomach turning, and the ending is burned into my memory! and it's so awful that I have to work at not thinking about it and you guys waste air whining about PETA and their protests at a game that makes out like that 'fur industry' is fun.
I think it's silly, because I believe there are better ways to go about protesting something. Bad publicity is still publicity, but it is publicity that is bad.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Peta is "herp derp" as usual.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Love the hilarious grimdark Mario game on the PETA website where everything is soaked in blood.

It's easy to lose, but it's also pretty easy to win, IMHO. You either win within a minute or you lose within a minute. You can almost fly if you hold the space bar/mouse button down instead of just tapping it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsmom View Post

I would actually agree with PETA on this if there was anything in the Mario franchise having to do with the sadistic slaughter of racoon-like creatures so that Mario could wear their fur. That would be disgusting and reprehensible. But there is NOTHING in the games that even suggests this sort of content. He sometimes wears a magic furry suit that "typically spring from magical squares that magically hover in the air," and that's it. That picture of an evil Mario with a racoon's head -- the "depiction of an animal being brutalised," as you said -- came from the computer of one of PETA's graphic designers -- it is not actually part of the game.

You're right, videos of animal slaughter are indeed stomach-turning, and after watching Earthlings earlier this year and bawling so hard I almost vomited, I decided that I never needed to see it again. Rather, now that I know what's happening, I want to spend my time and energy fighting it and promoting compassion, rather than subjecting myself to visual torture for the sake of building up anger inside of me.

Yes, PETA has been responsible for positive developments in animal rights and welfare over the years, but these silly campaigns of theirs make them much less efficient and make animal rights activists look ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieP View Post

I would actually agree with PETA on this if there was anything in the Mario franchise having to do with the sadistic slaughter of racoon-like creatures so that Mario could wear their fur. That would be disgusting and reprehensible. But there is NOTHING in the games that even suggests this sort of content. He sometimes wears a magic furry suit that "typically spring from magical squares that magically hover in the air," and that's it. That picture of an evil Mario with a racoon's head -- the "depiction of an animal being brutalised," as you said -- came from the computer of one of PETA's graphic designers -- it is not actually part of the game.

You're right, videos of animal slaughter are indeed stomach-turning, and after watching Earthlings earlier this year and bawling so hard I almost vomited, I decided that I never needed to see it again. Rather, now that I know what's happening, I want to spend my time and energy fighting it and promoting compassion, rather than subjecting myself to visual torture for the sake of building up anger inside of me.

Yes, PETA has been responsible for positive developments in animal rights and welfare over the years, but these silly campaigns of theirs make them much less efficient and make animal rights activists look ridiculous.

Good post.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieP View Post

I would actually agree with PETA on this if there was anything in the Mario franchise having to do with the sadistic slaughter of racoon-like creatures so that Mario could wear their fur. That would be disgusting and reprehensible. But there is NOTHING in the games that even suggests this sort of content. He sometimes wears a magic furry suit that "typically spring from magical squares that magically hover in the air," and that's it. That picture of an evil Mario with a racoon's head -- the "depiction of an animal being brutalised," as you said -- came from the computer of one of PETA's graphic designers -- it is not actually part of the game..

Exactly. Because the Tanuki are a part of Japanese folklore, so Mario sometimes wears a magic anthro-suit to get powers like the folklore. He also sometimes wears a frog suit. I don't see PETA throwing a fit because he slaughters giant frogs to wear their skin.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts