VeggieBoards banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,<br><br><br><br>
I was having a discussion with my non-vegetarian boyfriend. He feels that PETA have extremely bad press and do nothing to get rid of the extremeists in their ranks, he wants to know why have they not broken links with the ALF, who he believes are domestic terrorists. The PETA videos of animal cruelty was the main reason i became vegetarian and he has some trouble understanding my point of view.<br><br><br><br>
This is a little beyond my knowledge. Could someone help me answer his questions?<br><br><br><br>
Thanks,<br><br><br><br>
Charlotte.

·
Registered
60 Posts
While I may not agree with some of ALF's actions, the bottom line is that they are on par with those who are brave enough to rescue hostages from criminals or opposition soldiers. These animals are being cruelly mistreated, and saving them is just as heroic.<br><br><br><br>
The difference is that most of society accepts the mistreatment of animals. (This is just an example..) They think it's bad if you drag a dog behind a car, but it's OK if a scientist injects a dog with chemicals to make its kidneys fail so they can try to cure it with miracle drugs or procedures. Reminds me of one of my favorite bumper stickers: "Kill one animal and it's abuse. Kill many and it's science."<br><br><br><br>
My response to him would be that while some parts of every organization can be frowned upon, their message is admirable. And many of their actions, while maybe seen as terrorism in some people's eyes, is seen as heroism by others.<br><br><br><br>
So, therefore, PETA (and I'm not a representative of them, so feel free to disagree) and ALF have much of the same message, but go about it in different ways. PETA performs outgoing but nonviolent actions while ALF is introverted but acts on their convictions.<br><br><br><br>
Discuss it with him. It will not only open his eyes, but it will strengthen yours, too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts