VeggieBoards banner

PETA and Terrorism?

3K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  epski 
#1 ·
Since I've been asking my parents if I could start on the journey to veganism I've been doing a lot of research on why I should be a vegan. My research landed me at PETA which seemed like a reliable source. Then my dad finds all these articles on the web about how PETA is on th FBI watch list for terrorism
and how they are involved in terrorist groups! AGH! Could somebody tell me if this is true?
and if it is, where is a GOOD reliable source? Thanks so much!

See less See more
#2 ·
http://www.veganoutreach.org is a good resource.

PETA's info sounds good but it's questionable. You think the meat industry is biased? Well, PETA is the same but on the opposite extreme. I wouldn't recommend getting your info from either one. http://www.pcrm.org might be a good source as well.

#3 ·
PETA is considered an extremist group. As an organization, they don't perform terrorist activities, but they do seem to support the ALF, which does occasionally perform activities that could be construed as terrorism, the main difference between their brand and the brand most Americans now as suicide bombers.

The ALF firmly believes in the sanctity of all life and will sacrifice one of their own before they kill another, but some of their tactics do indeed scare people and are intended to terrorize them into staying out of business (or they will simply have their building burned down again, or whatever).

#4 ·
PETA is very extreme. They don't have a good reputation with most omnis, especially since they are very much an animal rights organisation.

The best sources for information owuld be impartial groups such as the american dietic association, which has been discussed in other threads on this board. PCRM is a biased souce, and has been linked with PETA, so that one could be given a miss.

As for PETA being terrorists, do remember that the definition of "terrorist" has changed over the years. It used to refer to armed Irish militants, then it referred to armed Arab militants, and now is used as a term to describe non-republicans. But to be honest, PETA hasn't been involved in any terrorist activities. It's just that they have been involved in financial transactions wit hradical animal rights groups which torch mcdonalds buildings etc.

But PETA still isn't trusted by most omis since it is a very pushy organisation which uses extreme tactics to get itself noticed.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Loki

As for PETA being terrorists, do remember that the definition of "terrorist" has changed over the years. It used to refer to armed Irish militants, then it referred to armed Arab militants, and now is used as a term to describe non-republicans. But to be honest, PETA hasn't been involved in any terrorist activities.
That's funny Loki :)

TiggerStar - PETA offers some great vegetarian resource materials (some free for the asking - some available at their online store). I am fond of Peta (I know most here aren't) - for various reasons I've already talked about in other threads.

Listen - you can certainly "use" them for what they have to offer vegetarian info wise and leave the rest behind.

(personally those big Peta CHICKEN LADIES could be considered terrorists......they sure terrify me)

#6 ·
A lot of articles on the web.

A lot of groups on the watchlist of the FBI.

PETA is the most successful AR organization ever.

Extremism is subjective. For the 50 billion animals most people are extreme, with the exception of PeTA (and other vegans and AR people).

I disagree about their information being questionable. Their website is a very good resource, always throroughly researched. PCRM and PeTA share a lot of their resources.

Their vegetarian starter kit is very well done - not "extreme" at all.

#8 ·
I didn't mean to insinuate that the PCRM wasn't biased, they are. But for the most part they are physicians and doctors so if she's looking for info for her parents that might be considered a reliable source.

Besides, the name is impressive, she doesn't have to tell them that they're against vivisection and meat-eating.

#9 ·
If you're presenting info to an omnivore, you should make sure it isn't biased. With PETA being in the animal rights camp, when it comes to the issue of eating meat, PETA are biased towards that particular direction.

Also, many omnis mistrust PETA, so it's better to have a different source.

#10 ·
Well I don't think he has to leave them totally out of the picture, but it's always good to have multiple sources.

THALIA: "Becoming Vegan" is my bible. I have 3 copies in my house (1 is mine 2 are almost always on loan). I've also donated copies (my daughter's school library, community library). Great book - full of nuts and bolts type info.

#15 ·
Likewise- as for me, I'm ready to start hi-jacking backyard grills...hehehe.

But seriously, I've been a member of PETA for years now and I have never seen or heard of anything that could even remotely be considered "terrorism"- Unless you consider forcing minds to bend to be a "terrorist" act. I'm sure folks find it a terrifying experience, but it still doesn't qualify. If so, any group (including those involved in civil rights, women's rights, etc.)that has stood up, loud and clear, to try and change outdated, ignorant attitudes are also "terrorists"-

#19 ·
hehe, thanks for all the great responses guys! I'm going to show my dad all the info i've printed. Yesterday he gave me a whole shpeil on how "your vegan eating would affect everyone in this house, not only you" so I'll need all the research I can get. And I'll definitly look at that book! Thanks again!

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiggerstar1989

hehe, thanks for all the great responses guys! I'm going to show my dad all the info i've printed. Yesterday he gave me a whole shpeil on how "your vegan eating would affect everyone in this house, not only you" so I'll need all the research I can get. And I'll definitly look at that book! Thanks again!
So he's concerned about being inconvenienced? Omnivores (especially the standard type) really have no idea about inconvenience when it comes to diet..... they live in a society created by omnivores for omnivores.

Tell him that your family's omnivorousness will affect you yet it (veganism) means a lot to you so that you will tolerate their way (and ask him to do likewise in return). Or tell him boo-hoo.

#21 ·
Why would your veganism affect your dad? I was a vegan when I lived at home and it never affected my parents (both omni). They still bought meat and cooked meat, and milk and cheese, I just didn't eat any of it, I ate different things and let them eat all the meat. Probably saved them money since they didn't have to buy as much meat, milk, and cheese.

#23 ·
the 'articles' your dad found were probably from these websites that "expose" left-ish organizations for being too radical, involved with terrorism, or have "questionable" funding. i forget the addresses for them but they talk about such crazy groups at the Rainforest Action Network, and Global Exchange *gasp*. the websites generally take a conservative approach and are generall funded by corporations and are used to undermine the anti-capitalist movement which would include the animal rights movement, environmental movement, etc, etc. some of the websites also target the people behind the organizations and tell all these 'dirty little secrets' about them and quote them so they look bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.