VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i am about to get my certified dog trainer thingy, come august and in august i am also starting my photography classes. i want to one day have a shelter that offers these things so i want exeperience or none the less have all of them as options for animal jobs. anyway i am also interested in pet sitting. i have had pets all my life. dogs mainly but i have had cats around soemwhere in the family. i dont know how to get started in pet sitting. does this life time of pets count as experience? if not how do i get it? how do i get myself out there so people will call me over all the others? i really want to do this. oh i do have volunteer shelter expereince too so i have done the bathing and all that stuff alot over the last year. is that also experience for pet sitting?<br><br>
thanks

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Word of mouth is the best way to get clients for pet sitting. People want to go to someone they've been referred to by a friend, rather than something they're picking blindly out of the phone book.<br><br><br><br>
You'll want special insurance so that you don't get stuck with any high vet bills. And you might consult a lawyer for writing up waivers to avoid lawsuits.<br><br><br><br>
What dog training certification are you getting?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from animal behavior college. its online. i am wishin maybe i had done more homework though as i am seeing alot of places require you to get your training with them before you work for them so its like is this even worth it?

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I'm sure it'll help, but there are so many schools of thought when it comes to dog training that it makes sense that places will require on-site training too. I'd look into getting CPDT certification as well as it carries the most weight I think in dog training circles.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
We found ours through a friend who discovered the service through her vet.<br><br><br><br>
Some sitters (like ours) require that you file a form and credit card info with a vet, authorizing medical treatment in an emergency situation. It seems you might be allowed to "advertise" at a vet's office in exchange for using their form, which would send new clients their way.<br><br><br><br>
BTW, what really cinched the deal for our friend was that the sitter explicitly included houseplant watering, bringing mail in, little things like that in the basic services. A complete service approach might be worth thinking about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts