VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. I took my four guinea pigs to the guinea pig club show today, and found it was not quite as nice as I thought it would be!

The guinea pigs were put into very small cages and were made to stay there for the entire 6 hour competition.. I wasn't allowed to cuddle or pat or feed my guineas and I wasn't even supposed to talk to them either!!
When the judges needed the next guinea pigs to judge, they sent little kids to get them from their cages and these kids would just grab the guinea pig, startling it, and (while the poor guinea is screaming) carry them completely wrong (in a few cases upside down).
The actual judging was pretty terrible.. The judges rough handled the guinea pigs and were simply so snobby towards them, completely judging them based on which ones have been breed to perfection and which have not.
A lot of the hard-out pet-breeders which were there didn't even know their guinea pigs names and were selling off guinea pigs that had any in-perfections.

What are your opinions on pet shows? I thought it would be a nice experience about fussing and cooing over the guinea pigs, but in reality it was all about people wanting the perfect guinea pig.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I took my ferrets to a ferret show but it was more kinda casual. You just brought your own carrier and there were lots of nice crazy ferret people which was fun. Ferrets are so hated and reviled by many in my country that it was nice to meet other fuzzy people. But even though it was a casual local show, there was a huge amount of snobbery and silliness going on. Hello, they're ferrets? Its not even like they have distinct breeds like dogs and cats. Lighten the eff up!

The GP show you went to sounds quite unprofessional, but I'm pretty much undecided on small animal shows. I think a lot of dogs probably quite enjoy dog shows but there's still all the pure-breeding to stupid standards thing that goes on.

In short, I don't think I'd attend another animal show. People just can't lighten up and see it as fun.

·
Registered
45 Posts
some showing fancies are not as nice as others im my opinion! i show my hamsters, the hamster fancie is a very friendly and nice fancy. I get along with every one.

Ive heard the rabbit showing fancy is a bit b*tchy, as with dog showing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've been to rat shows and have always been quite pleased with them. Everyone is nice and loving towards the animals even if they are breeders.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts