VeggieBoards banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi. I rang the vets and they said that they can't neuter (sp?) our rabbit until march. There is no where else to take her because they will just tell us to go to the vets we just rang. There is no way we can give the rabbit away that she's mating with (her son!!....)because he's too wild and too big for a pet shop and we dont want to give him away, he's too close to his parents. So what should we do? We think we're just gonna have to go through another lot of babies to give away and then get treats (the mother) to a vet in march.<br><br><br><br>
katy

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by kpickell</i><br><br><b>Shark, why not catch the feral cat, alter it, and release it back where it came from? ditto for the rabbit. catch the mom, spay her, and release her. how much does it cost to spay a rabbit?<br><br><br><br>
But I still say if you have unwanted pets, please alter them, and then yeah give them to the pet store. Ultimately it leads to less suffering.</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
There are many fix and release programs out there, but the problem with these is that you have a new issue: Is it more humane to put the animal out of its misery, or to release it outside into the cold where it will probably die of starvation, disease, or get hit by a car.<br><br><br><br>
Sending them to a pet store will not necessarily lead to less suffering. Like I said before, pet stores don't screen customers. Anyone can come in and buy your rabbit, whatever their intentions. The best thing for your rabbit is to find a rabbit rescue. They will NOT put your rabbit to sleep. A rabbit rescue will look for the best possible home for your rabbits, and they will live happy lives. THAT is the choice that will lead to less suffering.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
<a href="http://www.ukcompanion.rabbits.org.uk/rescue.html" target="_blank">http://www.ukcompanion.rabbits.org.uk/rescue.html</a><br><br><br><br>
If you click on the link it has a list of many rabbit rescues in the UK. Just scroll down the list and find one in your area. Many rescues will even try and give you updates on how your rabbit is doing after they've found it a new home. I'm really hoping you'll consider a rescue instead of a pet shop.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Anywhere the animals end up could be potentially bad or potentially good for them it seems. My brothers have bought pets for their kids and the kids were very good to them. Many parents go with their kids to get pets and teach them how to care for them, too. They get them books to read on them, too. I have gotten many pets from pets stores and have taken good care of them. It's hard to say that one particular place will be better. Their can be abusive people anywhere, even at rescue places. I find euthanising healthy rabbits to be unnecesary and it can be used abusively when people don't want to try other means to keep them alive.<br><br><br><br>
What about getting a live trap that holds them and then when they are caught releasing them into a greatly wooded area or forest away from housing?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by Birdlady</i><br><br><b>Anywhere the animals end up could be potentially bad or potentially good for them it seems. My brothers have bought pets for their kids and the kids were very good to them. Many parents go with their kids to get pets and teach them how to care for them, too. They get them books to read on them, too. I have gotten many pets from pets stores and have taken good care of them. It's hard to say that one particular place will be better. Their can be abusive people anywhere, even at rescue places. I find euthanising healthy rabbits to be unnecesary and it can be used abusively when people don't want to try other means to keep them alive.<br><br><br><br>
What about getting a live trap that holds them and then when they are caught releasing them into a greatly wooded area or forest away from housing?</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
I realize that not all people going into pet stores are bad pet owners, and that many pets from pet stores go to happy homes. What I'm arguing is that pet stores don't screen people who buy their animals - anyone can walk in and buy a pet. So, if a person who has a long history of animal abuse walks into a pet store, he/she can easily purchase an animal with no challenge. The same person would never get through a rabbit rescue's screening process. That's why I reccomend a rescue. They will do everything they can to guarantee that the rabbit finds a good home, where a pet store will sell the animal to whoever wants to buy it, maybe an excellent home, maybe a terrible one.<br><br><br><br>
Another thing about pet stores is that people may come in and purchase a rabbit just on a whim, and then realize it's much more trouble than they had bargained for. People can easily make impulse buys when they see cuddly little baby rabbits in a pet shops. Rescues make adopters wait, for one thing, which will generally scare off impulse buyers. Also, most will do their best to educate the adopter on rabbit ownership if he/she is a first time owner. Pet stores don't do any of this - someone comes in with money, they walk out with a rabbit, no questions asked.<br><br><br><br>
Euthanizing the animal isn't an issue with a rescue, because rescues don't euthanize unless the animal is extremely ill. They're more likely to die from disease in a pet shop than to die from euthanasia in a rescue.

·
Registered
371 Posts
well said, sharkbarkbe!<br><br><br><br>
even well meaning people who would never impulse purchase a dog or cat because they know how much work they are will still impulse buy smaller animals- like rabbits. and anyone who has ever lived with a rabbit knows that they take up just as much time as a dog or cat and are just as expensive to care for properly. people don't realize the amount of time a rabbit should get out of his or her cage, or the expensive and variety of foods they need, or the cost of truly appropriate housing. a rabbit is every bit as deserving of a good home as a dog or cat, imo. and it is more likely that they will find a good home from a rescue rather than from a pet store. nothing is ever a "sure thing" but i think the chances are a lot better through the rescue route, especially in the case of rabbits.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just thought id update and say that we found a pet shop for the rabbits. I didnt want them to go to a pet shop but I rang all the liverpool animal rescue centres and they were all engaged or full. It was getting really hard on the rabbits and they were getting irritated at being in a box so we found a pet shop, a really really big pet shop and they were really helpful and put them in a really big 'run' with other rabbits. so i hope they're gonna find good homes for them<br><br><br><br>
Katy

21 - 28 of 28 Posts