VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From PETA:

PETA Uncovers Cruelty by One of North Americas Largest Pet Food Manufacturers

While Menu Foods sells 800 million cans of pet food annually, you may not recognize its name because its products are sold under private labels. For instance, PetSmarts canned brandsAuthority, SophistaCat, and Awardare made by Menu Foods, as are Safeways Safeway Select brand, A&Ps Master Choice, and Stop & Shops canned food. PETAs investigation at a laboratory conducting tests for Menu Foods found widespread cruelty and neglect.

Click Here for information on Menu Food's animal testing.

PETA has asked Menu Foods to stop using animals in nutritional tests for pet food. The nutritional content of foods for companion animals can be determined via laboratory analysis. Cats and dogs dont have to suffer to put food in other cats and dogs bowls! Please write:

Serge Darkazanli

Chair, President, and CEO

Menu Foods Ltd.

8 Falconer Dr.

Mississauga, ON L5M 2C1

Canada

Tel.: 905-826-3870

Fax: 905-826-8102

E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
878 Posts
thats evil and sneaky !

i hate when i hear about pet food companies that test on animals it makes me so mad they are such hypocrites !

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
sprout writes:

=================

i hate when i hear about pet food companies that test on animals it makes me so mad they are such hypocrites !

====================

???????? Why does testing on animals make them hypocrites?

·
Registered
878 Posts
sprout writes:

=================

====================

???????? Why does testing on animals make them hypocrites?

====================

they are hypocrites bcuz they are always like

we have the dogs best intrest in mind

and

we care for the dogs

and those kind of things

ya know wut im sayin ?!

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
sprouts asks

"ya know wut im sayin ?!"

No, I don't.

Not all pet food companies advertise that they have your pet's best interest in mind. Those that do say just that "we have your pet's best interest in mind. They don't say anything about stray dogs or cats or "laboratory animals" that they do experiments on to find out what happens if certain nutrients are left out of their diets. Like most sales pitches, the pitch is usually "this is good for you and yours" not "this is good for the earth" or "we love all dogs."

·
Registered
878 Posts
well alright fine then the companies that say care about animals are hypcrites the other ones are just *******s and sick for doing that to those animals

·
Registered
0 Posts
No point in defending the pet food companies, it only makes you look silly and perfectionistic. Also, we need to find a way to feed our pets vegetarian food because we are not doing anything good by making our pets happy by making cows sad, and losing money in the process. We need like recipes which we can make at home which require little to no meat (but cats are carnivores so they need a little meat) and so that the meat we do use can be like Kosher or Organic or Free range or something that's not as bad as regular meat.

Any ideas?

-Eric

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Veg dog-food is widely available now, even at stores like Whole Foods.

Cat food is another matter entirely. There is a vegan cat food available over the internet for about 3x the cost of "normal" food.

·
Registered
0 Posts
http://women.stormfront.org/symbols/Koshertax.html check this site out to find out the current deal with Kosher foods. I'm Jewish and I was pretty disgusted to find this out. The kosher aspect has more to do with money today than being ethical. And Jewish law states that it is only permissable to kill an animal if there is a legitimate need. The only legitimate need that comes to mind is a life and death situation in the mountains if you're about to get pounced on by a hungry cat. The Kashrut is a ritual practiced by Kosher Jews to make the meat holy, if other Jews would abstain from meat, there would be no need for this ritual, Vegan is the best way to keep Kosher. Has anyone ever tried to make Pet food with leftovers or peels? I was on the road when I had a dog and my pooch pretty much lived off scraps and he was a happy camper.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Oh, and also someone mentioned free range, and I remembered reading something about cage-free, kind of off the subject, but N.E.ways, cage free doesnt always mean the chickens are running around outside in the sun, sometimes they are still housed indoors in cramped conditions, just not in cages. Tricky bastards always trying to make a dollar off the ethical consumer.

·
Registered
0 Posts
my chloe doggy loves raw potato. her pet food is like just duck and potato. we feed her this due to allergies as the cheap food makes her sick. our vet told us that fish can be substituted as most dogs aren't allergic to it as it doesn't exist in most dog food. there are veg foods for pets though. the prices are usually crazy though. i've also heard raw green beans are good for your dog as a treat.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Since attempting to become a veg*n myself, I've kicked the Iams for my dogs. I met a Nutro rep who informed me about Nutro and the fact that they don't use "by products - beaks, feet, etc." in their food. I made the best choice I could..at the time, anybody have better info.? I saw veg*n dog food, but didn't know much about it. I obviously want to feed a "premium" diet, and have made my own dog food before, but it is indeed a chore...

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
zapmamma27 take a look at the home page of the web page you referred to re Kosher "tax".

http://women.stormfront.org/

It's a white separatist's web site. I wonder if this means she doesn't mind living with white Jews, but thinks black Jews should live somewhere else?

Also note that I haven't checked out the Orthodox Union, the largest Kosher certification organization, personally, but perhaps you ought to check out their web site and get their side of the story before you jump to conclusions? http://www.ou.org/kosher/default1102.htm

They claim that they actually inspect manufacturing plants to make sure they conform to Kosher standards. That means, for example, that they don't use the same equipment for preparing flesh as they use for dairy, without nearly sterilizing it first. And confirm that they use only Kosher meat -- checking thru their records to see where they bought the meat, much the way accountants would check thru records to see that everything is the correct account. Kosher meat is not meat that has been merely blessed -- to be kosher it must be both raised and slaughtered by certain standards.

There are standards as to what you can feed animals being raised, including cattle.

Yes the rabbis say a blessing, or prayer, for the plant. But they don't charge a fee for that. You are paying for the inspection not the blessing. Which they insist is thorough.

There are orgs now that are doing the same thing with food that manufacturers claim to be vegan.

There are other companies that certify food for adherence to kosher rules, also, including Star K http://www.star-k.org/

·
Registered
62 Posts
i'm a Jew, and live in Israel, where almost all food is Kosher, and i know how the Kosher killing of animals is done, i have an AVI movie about that i can send it if someone want me too.

and believe me, there's nothing "Kosher" about Kosher!!!

the method is slitting the throat in 2 strikes of the knife. which is at least as painful as other methods.

about cat food, the regular meat based cat foods are so low quality and contain so many chemicals, flavors, toxins and drugs, that many new feline diseases are apearing due to its consumption.

one of the most popular is FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinal Tract Disease) aka FUD. so in effect, you are poisioning your cat, killing cows/sheep/chicken, paying for it, and paying even more for veterinarian care.

feeding one animal to another makes no sense, and produces bad results.

the best veg food for cats is to cook soy, oil, corn and rice, and add carrots/tomatto sauce for taste and MOST importantly, add edible acids! the PH level of the food should be about 6.

for both cats and dogs, please do NOT give them pottatos or onions, since it contains too much sugar which is very bad for them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
taurine is a slaughtrehouse by product that was only recently "discovered" and added to cat foods as an "essential" nutriant for felines, which is still controversial, much like the D3 vitamin in humans.

therefore it's contribution is questionable.

i cannot testify for it's essentiality, as my cats do eat fresh meat on occations, from leftovers they get from my neighbors and other carnivores in my distant family, as well as insects and mice they manage to pray on (they roam free in my garden).

if someone is set on the essentiality of meat to companion animals, the best way will be to add a small amount of leftover meat from the butcher which you can usually get for free or at minimal cost.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
There are supplements for cats, not only for taurine, but to keep a low pH. vegan cat food is available that contains these supplements.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts